• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question about live tree branches

JeffDenver

I live in Colorado and we have a lot of Aspens here. Since the consensus seems to be that Aspen is the best substrate for snakes, I was wondering...would live tree branches or even actual small trees (seedlings or whatever) be ok for the snake to climb on?

Is there any risk of any kind of infestation that will harm the snake if I do this? If so, is there a way to sterilize the branches?

You can bake them at 300 degrees for a while. I've also heard of people using microwaves, but I wouldn't reccomend that!

Well you need to sterilize them, and i think that process would kill the tree or branches. You can however use sterilized dead (or branches that were alive before sterilizing) as decor for your viv. You can bake them as said above or use some sort of bleach solution. I can't tell you the exact details of the bleach solution but i'm sure someone else can help you with that.

Fresh branches can harbour all manner of creepy crawlies. Whilst they're unlikely to harm your Corn, you probably don't need a colony of whatever-they-might-be setting up home on your desk!

Ideally you need to bake or disinfect them to get rid of unwanted guests. Whatever you do is pretty much guaranteed to kill the branch (which won't stay live for long once detached from the tree anyway).

On another forum I belong to, someone wrote out all of the ways to sterilize something. I'm going to cut and paste the list here.

Since I've seen many past questions on how to cure wood and other things for use in all of your vivariums, I thought I'd share a quick outline of some of the many ways to effectively cure wood and branches.

1:10 Bleach solution. This is probably one of the most effective ways, and works well for spraying on with a bottle. You can also soak in a bleach solution, though for this, more dilute is probably better. It is necessary to rinse the wood, stones, or branches multiple times after, to ensure no more chlorine bleach remains on the pieces.

2. Alcohol.
No. Not the drinking kind. Most commonly available is isopropanol, which comes at about 70% in rubbing alcohol. Isopropanol is mildly more toxic (MSDS is usually 1.3.0) than recommended ethanol (yes, the kind you drink in low concentrations), but much less so than bleach. I would still recommend diluting it, maybe 1:3 parts water. Alcohol is best used to spray on, and it generally will evaporate after. If isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) is used, you may want to give it one good rinse before using it with your animals. On the other hand, ethanol can be sprayed directly on with a spray bottle, and doesn't require any dilution. It works extremely well and leaves nothing behind. If you can get "100%" ethanol, I highly recommend it.

3. Heat treating.
This is really common way to get rid of any pathogens or the like. Simply "baking" a piece of wood at 200 degrees F for 5-15 minutes based on size should be sufficient. Unfortunately, leaf matter and more flammable pieces cannot be cured this way.

4. Boiling water.
Supposing you can find a pot large enough for the branch you want to cure, it works well. If you can't, pouring scalding water over it works well too.

5. Microwaving.
This works very well for soil, leaf litter, peat, and any kind of heavily porous/particulate dry matter. For 50 ml (or 100 grams or so) of dry matter, I microwave on high for about 45 seconds. If you are microwaving anything excessively dry, I'd recommend misting it, as the waves inside the microwave act only on the water molecules.

6. Freezing.
I'm lucky enough to work at a lab where I have an industrial -80 degree Celcius freezer. I personally have never used it to cure anything, but the small household work very much the same way. If you live in a very warm climate (never dropping below 40 degrees F in the coldest months), freezing branches works well - FL, HA, SoCal, TX... etc. If you are from a more temperate climate, this method will not work on wood products. If however you would like to ensure moss has no potential threats, you can put it in the freezer for a few hours. This works best when it is collected at warmer temperatures, so that most of the insects and "bugs" (ie bacteria and protozoa) have had time to become active and their egg stages have already morphed into adulthood, as they are more succeptible to cold temperatures.

* These treatments are most effective when used alongside another, for example, freezing a soil sample then microwaving it will kill pests more thoroughly. Similarly, treating with boiling water and then baking, or washing with alcohol and then rinsing with very hot water.

On the same note:

- Always rinse thoroughly before baking anything treated with bleach. Chlorine bleach has a violent chemical change at an elevated temperature.

- Do not bake items cured with alcohol. 3-Carbon alcohols (and less) are extremely flammable, with flash points under 100 degrees F.

- When in doubt, if the branch or item still smells like bleach/alcohol, rinse again.

Back