• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question about morphs and % of clutch

drak2223

hello there, I have a question about genetics I know if you breed two hets together(example two amel hets) 25% of eggs in the clutch will be amel, and when you breed a het with a Homozygous 50% of the clutch will be the same morph as the Homozygous, now my question is what % of the clutch would I get if I bred two Homozygous(example charcoal and amel) what % of the clutch would be(in this case) a blizzard corn?

Little test for myself here, as I am still learning. If I'm wrong, don't worry, someone who knows better will come along soon. :D
If you pair homo amel and homo charcoal, the only combinations possible should be amel+charcoal, so all offspring should be blizzard.
Am I right? Am I right? Or have I completely fallen off the track here?

Sorry about that, but surely someone who *is* sure about the answer will clarify.
Apologies for using you as my learning experience ;)

What % of the clutch would I get if I bred two Homozygous(example charcoal and amel) what % of the clutch would be(in this case) a blizzard corn?

None. In order to express this sort of trait visually, both male and female need to be carrying it. If you cross a Charcoal and an Amel, you'll get 100% Normals, all het for Charcoal and Amel.

However, if you breed two of these offspring together three years later, your percentages will be:

56.25% Normal, with a range of possible hets (some het Amel, some het Charcoal, some het both, some with no hets at all)
18.75% Amel, two-thirds of which would statistically be het for Charcoal
18.75% Charcoal, two-thirds of which would be statistically het for Amel
6.25% Blizzard

(I cheated and used Marcel Poots's Genetic Wizard - try it, it's great)

However, bear in mind that the above are just theoretical statistics - nature doesn't read the instructions and with odds that small, there's a chance you could end up with no Blizzards at all in a small first clutch.

So off the track it was :headbang:
I got something completely wrong here. I thought if a corn was homo, paired with another homo, neither of them being normal, the offspring wouldn't be normal either, but a mix of the genes in the homo's...?
Or am I getting :-offtopic here and should I better ask in another thread?

I thought if a corn was homo, paired with another homo, neither of them being normal, the offspring wouldn't be normal either, but a mix of the genes in the homo's...?

That's not the case here. In order to express traits like Charcoal or Amel in offspring, both parents have to be carrying the trait.

If one parent is one thing, and one parent is the other, then neither will be expressed visually and you end up with all Normal-looking offspring, with hets that aren't expressed visually.

Bitsy is correct. If you breed two different homozygous morphs (such as Amel x Charcoal), you will get all normal offspring with hets (100% het Amel and 100% het Charcoal in the case of breeding together an Amel with a Charcoal).

Now, if you breed two snakes together, that are homozygous for the same two, different, genes (such as Blizzard x Blizzard - a Blizzard being homozygous for both Amel ~and~ Charcoal), all offspring will be homozygous for both genes (all offspring would be Blizzards in the case of breeding together a Blizzard with Blizzard).

To clarify something, the percentages do not mean that you will get that exact percentage in a clutch. It means that ~each individual~ baby has that percentage, of chance, to be a certain morph.

Right right! I stupidly made a square with the genes (don't know how you call it :)) and combined the wrong ones!
Ok, concentrating better now. I'll get the hang of it :D

An easy thing to remember is, if you want to make a certain morph...both parents must have the gene for that morph (in most cases that is), either in homo or het form.

If you want an amel...both parents need the amel gene (either het or homo)
If you want a blizzard...both parents need the amel and charcoal gene (either het or homo)
If you want a butter motley...both parents need caramel, amel, and motley (either het or homo)
etc.....

An easy thing to remember is, if you want to make a certain morph...both parents must have the gene for that morph (in most cases that is), either in homo or het form.

If you want an amel...both parents need the amel gene (either het or homo)
If you want a blizzard...both parents need the amel and charcoal gene (either het or homo)
If you want a butter motley...both parents need caramel, amel, and motley (either het or homo)
etc.....
so if I had a charcoal het for amel and a amel het for charcoal, and say the clutch was 15 about how many would be blizzards?

so if I had a charcoal het for amel and a amel het for charcoal, and say the clutch was 15 about how many would be blizzards?

roughly 25%....however I wouldn't rely on the percentages too much...you could get just 1 blizzard in a clutch (or none)...you could get a bunch. It's chance. But statistically you're looking at 25%.

25% blizzard
25% charcoal het amel
25% amel het charcoal
25% normal het blizzard

Right right! I stupidly made a square with the genes (don't know how you call it :)) and combined the wrong ones!
Ok, concentrating better now. I'll get the hang of it :D

A Punnett Square. It just takes some practice. I still work everything by hand, but that's how I learned to do genetic outcomes.

Back