• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

question about opals

JCam99

Hello

I know that opal is amel X lavender, but I am wondering exactly what the pearl corn phase opal is? I am thinking it is amel X lavender X anery A?? The reason I am asking is because I will have some opal hatchlings in a little over a month and they will all be het for anery A. Some of them I am going to sell (so I want to be able to accurately explain what the het for anery means specifically if they breed siblings), plus we will probably keep a pair for future breeding and wondered what we would get a few years down the road.

Thanks for the help, and if anybody has any pics of an amel X lavender X anery A please post, maybe I will be able to tell the difference b/w those and just regular opals.

I'm so excited to see these opal babies when the hatch out I can hardly stand the wait! And I have another clutch, possibly more, due from the same group !!
Later
Jcam99

Pearl Lavender

I am not sure what exactly causes the Pearl Opals as apposed to the Coral Opals and everything in between, but I think it is most likely just variation in what the normal phase would look like that they come from. They are also called Pearl Lavenders, which makes a little more since to me, but are genetically the same as Opals. At least the mutant genetics, the normal genetics must be different.

I have not heard anybody claiming that they are homo for Anery A, but nobody knows as far as I can tell. The anery A gene takes away the red pigment, but not the underlying pinks, which is the main difference between the Pearls and Coral Opals. Many Opals have some secondary orange coloration too.

The underlying colors of corns are not completely understood yet. Why some corns have tremendous amounts of pink and some do not is a mystery to me, except a clutch of corns can vary quite a bit. Selective breeding can focus in on a particular trait that the breeder happens to like.

Lavenders can be hatched from Snows and Anery A’s when bred together, so I would think that since a Lavender can be homo for Anery A and still look like a Lavender, then this would most likely not change the appearance when we added amel to the mix, but I do not think it is really known.

Attachments

• cornlavenderpearlf2.jpg
    cornlavenderpearlf2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 79
Coral Opal

This is one of my adult Coral Opals. I have a few younger ones that are turning out like this guy as well. I have not been able to pick out the ones that will turn extremely pink like this guy. When they are about six months old, some of them start developing into a multi pink colored snake. Some of their siblings turn out to be Pearls and there is no Anery A gene in this particular group of Opals.

Attachments

• p4260023.jpg
    p4260023.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 76
Same Coral in doors

This photo shows how little white this Coral actually has. He is two shades of pink, with very thin borders of white between a few of his blotches and that is it. Some of the darker pink blotches have a cast of orange to them.

Attachments

• pa220006.jpg
    pa220006.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for showing the pics :) . I myself am really partial to those coral opals you showed, but even the pearl lavender one was nice in its own right too. I guess any opals that we do hatch out could possibly look like any of the ones you posted, or somewhere in between. I remember maybe a year or so ago when there was a debate on here about whether or not anery A and lavender could coexist in the same animal, and I think the results were basically who knows? I can't remember for sure tho what all was said. Well anyways we were going to keep the best looking male opal out of any we do get this year, raise him up, and then use him as a breeder in a few years.

My friend and I went in on this little venture, purchased 3 adults from Rich that were het opal during his sale last December. I saw a chance to produce lavenders and opals fast and jumped on it! I've got all these ideas about different projects to work on and more snakes to purchase, it's going to be a question of money and time on what I do and what I don't. But I can assure you come this fall some more snakes will be joining the brood. I have a yearling female bloodred I am raising up right now that is getting more and more stunning with each shed, and I have big plans for her.

Anyways I'll post some pics of my opals when they hatch in July and maybe you and others can help me make heads or tails of what they will possibly look like as adults, even though that is probably hard to do.
Later
Jcam99

Back