• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question about Petco Grass

JeffDenver

I was considering buying like 4 or 6 of those cat-grass things at petco and taping them together tight and stuffing them into my viv so Strangles can "hide" in it.

I figured it would look cool and the snake might like it more since it is what he would find in nature. Any downsides to it? I kinda like the idea of having live plants in there as well.

It is live grass. It looks like this:

cat%20grass%20petsmart.jpg

I was going to bind 4 or 6 of them together and make a field for him. What do you think?

Tape and snakes don't mix at all, ever!! Plus, you're going to need lighting for the grass. Baby snakes really like silk vines stuck to the walls!!

Its actually grain sprouts. It will get pretty tall if put in the correct conditions and if it doesn't die first... I would go with something a little smaller, or possibly fake.

Tape and snakes don't mix at all, ever!! Plus, you're going to need lighting for the grass.

I'll see if there is another way to do it besides tape. Maybe re-pot it all into a single small planter.

Lighting is no problem...I have two florescent lights for the tank (one is a repit-sun bulb), and they are always on during daylight hours anyway. I do this on purpose to simulate a photo cycle, since the viv is in a basement and does not get a lot of natural light. I only get direct sunlight through one window about an hour a day.

Its actually grain sprouts. It will get pretty tall if put in the correct conditions and if it doesn't die first... I would go with something a little smaller, or possibly fake.

I was assuming I would have to "mow" it with scissors occasionally.

I tried doing something like in my gecko tanks (which already have other live plants). However, I instead bought a bag of the seeds since it was cheaper. It looks kinda cool at first, but the stuff grows tall, fast. If you don't keep it clipped down, the blades will flop over. Plus it doesn't live very long so you'd have to remove the dead grass and replant often.

I remember reading somewhere that all "pet grass" is is wheat grass. It's perfectly safe but not particularly manageable.

Ok...I think I am going to try it and see how he likes it. I have pretty easy access to the tank and it gets plenty of light with two fluorescent strips.

I want to see pictures of this!
I am too lazy to consider doing something like this myself, but I bet the snake will love it.

Back