• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question about shedding hide

7legion77

I've built a little hide full of damp moss in anticipation of my new baby's shed. He just went blue, but it doesn't seem like he's using the hide.
Since my previous snake has always had shedding issues with this vivarium setup, I want to make sure the sheds go well for my new snake.

Will they always voluntarily pack themselves into a humid hide?
Is the shed something that they will instinctively take care of as long as a humid hide is provided somewhere in the tank?
Or do I need to place him in there or provide multiple hides with damp moss.

Thanks in advance.

I'd try him with an additional open bowl of damp moss. I have one baby that loves hers so much she is always in it. I just let it dry out in between sheds.

I'm with Nanci. An open bowl/container with the damp moss seems to work better as far as getting them to use it. I've found with a closed hide, it's very hit or miss if the snake wants to actually hide in that area, but with an open container they seem to be more likely to explore into it and fall in love with it.

Whenever you put a lay box (of moss) in with a female, it's like they're thinking OMG, why haven't you ever given me this bed of awesomeness before??? Those have a pretty big hole, though, mine do, anyway. Like 3-4" diameter.

i mix sphagnum into the aspen medium and drip water through the top screen to raise the humidity around the preferred hide.

Not sure about hatchlings, but I would think it would be pretty instinctual overall. It could be that your snake isn't using the hide because they don't feel they need it (maybe the humidity is pretty decent right now).
I would think there'd only be an issue if you put in a shed box and notice the shed to be incomplete. But then again, give it time. It may take some getting used-to as mentioned above.
Best of luck :)

Back