• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

question about summer temps.

lisa127

I've got a question concerning temperatures at this time of year. I have two corn snakes, both have separate cages with UTH's regulated with a rheostat set on low. During the summertime, the snakes rarely if ever spend time on the heated side of the cage. The coolest temps in their cages, and in the house as well, is 77-78 degrees. Would they be ok with digestion and everything if I just turned their UTH's off for the summer? Is 77-78 good enough for digestion? And if so, at what point should I turn the UTH's back on? I'm thinking once it gets below 75?
Thanks.

Lisa, they should be fine. How old are they? I don't use any supplemental heat at all, of course I live in Florida. I have always just used extra heat with newly acquired hatchlings and snakes that would not eat. Once my snakes are eating regularly I just let the ambient temperature supply their needs. Maybe not the best choice, but I have had no problems :cheers:

Hello

I live in in PA, right on the border of OH, and I haven't had my UTH's on for awhile now. I have 4 glass aquiarium type vivs in my livingroom for dislplay, that have UTH's and as soon as it started getting pretty hot, they got turned off. Most of my snakes are in a temp controlled bedroom (snakeroom) upstairs, where it usually is a few degrees warmer. I keep that room between 78-81 at all times. (sometimes in the evening it drops to about 77) I actually found that the cooler temps seem better. (78-81) I have to turn the AC on up there in the afternoons to get the temp down, and I have found that I am running into less problems keeping it at these temps.

That is my long-winded 2 cents. If I were you, I would just turn the UTH off for now...If your room temp gets too low, then flip it back on...

Here in AZ the COOLEST I can get the snake cages is the temperature the house is set at: 82*... From the time the AC starts up in late March to the time it stops working in late October, I don't use any sort of supplemental heat for my animals. ONly october and November, and February and March do I need to use an UTH

Hi,
I live in Michigan so we have kind of the same weather. I usally turn the heat off when it get's above 75-80 and my corn seems to do fine. He always digests his food. as soon as it drops below 70 or so i turn it on (and you never know what day that could be in michigan). Good Luck!

Thanks for your input everyone. The temp on my home thermostat hasn't been below 76 degrees in almost two months now, so I was thinking it was silly to have supplemental heat for corns.
Sparda, we must be close neighbors. I live in a suburb of Cleveland, almost as northeast as you can get. It takes me about 45 min. to an hour to get to the border of PA, depending on what road I take.

lisa127 said:
Is 77-78 good enough for digestion? And if so, at what point should I turn the UTH's back on? I'm thinking once it gets below 75?
Thanks.

^^That's a question that I would like answered as well, being very new to corns. I've noticed that after feeding, my snakes will go to their warm side of 82-85. Beyond that, they prefer their cool side of 10 degrees below that. From my crude and novice observations, it's my present opinion that they (at least mine) generally prefer the room temps for "loafing" about, and go to warmer areas to digest efficiently. Any thoughts out there?

Lisa,

Based on your information, we may be neighbors! I'm in Mentor. I've got 1 snake in the livingroom and 4 upstairs. 2 of the ones up are 1 month old. I've had the UTH on in their vivs for the past 2 days since the weather cooled some and they've stayed on the warm side (83). The adults have had no heat for a couple months now and do just fine. Unless you've got hatchlings, you should do fine with the UTH off.

dwyn,
We sure are neighbors! I live in Wickliffe! I'm in Mentor occassionally, but for the most part I try to avoid it as much as I can. I can't stand the traffic!!
Lisa

Traffic!?!? What traffic??:shrugs:

:duck::sidestep: :duck: :sidestep:
:sidestep: :duck: :sidestep:

:sidestep: :duck:

Well we are not close neighbors...but not that far away...Do you guys ever go to any shows in PA. There is a nice one coming up next Sunday August 8th in Butler PA. Lots of vendors, good food, and reptiles galore!!!!!! Here is the link so you guys can check it out...www.wparepexpo.com.

Thanx Sparda,

No, I've never been there, but I do have an account in New Castle. Would try to plan a trip around the show, but my son's playing in an all-star game that day.
I looked at the listing of vendors. Have a transaction going with Chris Burkey of Apex right now for a proven 1.0 snow for my 0.1 het snow for my 1st attempt at breeding.:crazy02:
I've got a freezer full of rodents thanx to Dave (DAND). He's gone out of his way to be helpful. Definately a guy you want to do business with if you get the chance.
Are you a shopper or a vendor?

I have always been a shopper in the past...This will be my first show that I will be a vendor...I am kind of excited, I love to meet new people that are as into snakes as I am, and get to talk with everyone about my passion...It should be alot of fun...Hope you can make it!!!!!!!! :)

dwyn,
how far is this show from us? how long would it take to get there? looks like a great show. im going to the one in cleveland on the 14th, but id really like to go to this one!
lisa

Lisa,

It's about a 2 hour drive. I'm going to the one on the 14th too, but with my son having a baseball game this Sunday, I'd be pressed for time. If you don't make it and my schedule allows for me to get to the one in October, you'd be welcome to thumb a ride.

Back