• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question for Breeders?

amanda007

Read, read, read!
My husband and I are crazy for corns, and are considering the possibility of breeding in the future. It will be a few years still before our snow is ready, and obviously we need to get more than just one snake if we actually expect babies :laugh:

So my question is, is it hard to actually sell the babies? I mean, I'm not looking to get rich off of this or anything. But I also don't want to end up with 10+ hatchlings that I can't get rid of. I know it differs a lot from region to region, but are internet sales very effective? I mean, we're going to start out breeding some pretty "unremarkable" color variations, but would like to work up to breeding things that are a little harder to achieve.

My husband and I are crazy for corns, and are considering the possibility of breeding in the future. It will be a few years still before our snow is ready, and obviously we need to get more than just one snake if we actually expect babies :laugh:

So my question is, is it hard to actually sell the babies? I mean, I'm not looking to get rich off of this or anything. But I also don't want to end up with 10+ hatchlings that I can't get rid of. I know it differs a lot from region to region, but are internet sales very effective? I mean, we're going to start out breeding some pretty "unremarkable" color variations, but would like to work up to breeding things that are a little harder to achieve.

Those are good questions. I am going to say that I wouldn't expect to make a whole lot of money, breeding and raising snakes. You will need to check out your area and see if there is an interest. There is always the possibility of internet sales, but then you will have to factor in the cost of that.

Also, don't get lost in breeding high end morphs. Yes, they are nice. Remember, as a smaller hobbyist breeder, the majority of your sales will probably be wholesale to pet stores or the people down the street, who just want one as a pet. Are those people going to want to pay premium prices for higher end morphs? Probably not! They will want a nice, healthy animal, they can set up in the child's room or resale.

Before you do it, make sure you do your homework. Read about incubators, breeding, brumation, etc. Do lots and lots of homework!

Good Luck!

Wayne

Regardless of the present lousy marketplace, if you breed anything be prepared to be stuck with the results. It is not uncommon for even the biggest and best breeders to not sell all their hatchlings. Add to that a down market and you can be assured of surplus. So if you are not willing to take the risk that you will have snakes left unsold, don't bring them into the world. The best thing to do is have a home for them before you produce them. Especially if they are common morphs that are always abundant.
Terri

Also, don't get lost in breeding high end morphs. Yes, they are nice. Remember, as a smaller hobbyist breeder, the majority of your sales will probably be wholesale to pet stores or the people down the street, who just want one as a pet. Are those people going to want to pay premium prices for higher end morphs? Probably not! They will want a nice, healthy animal, they can set up in the child's room or resale.

Before you do it, make sure you do your homework. Read about incubators, breeding, brumation, etc. Do lots and lots of homework!

Good Luck!

Wayne

Pretty much all I do in my spare time is read up on the in's and out's of breeding :laugh:

As far as super ridiculous morphs, no-no on that. I just really want an opal. And maybe a snopal. But nothing more unusual than that really. I really just want to breed them because all little snake babies are adorable, I love snakes in general, and I like the challenge. That and all of the different morphs is just fascinating. Even though I don't want to breed super-crazy morphs, I'd still like to learn about the genes involved. Personally I really like amel's, and they're a dime a dozen. It's all just a matter of preference.

We always said no more than 100 snakes.

You will always find one that is different, prettier, or just catches your heart. Then there is next season, and whats two more hold backs? Oh no, this season I have leftovers...now they have to be fed year round. So why not keep them too and breed them??

See the problem here? You have to stick to your goals and yes, you may have to adjust those goals. And that is ok too. Murphy will play with you too both for the good and the bad. Life's situations do and will get in the way of the snakes. Keep it to what you can handle comfortably. Make sure you have friends or family that will be willing to at least water your snakes while you take a few days off. Being sick and having snakes is not easy either.

You have to keep that stuff in mind. You have to take quality care of your breeding stock to produce healthy babies. Have some outlets up front for the babies. There are several factors to selling or not selling your hatchlings. The economy, demand, reputation, and lots of time! Good luck!

I sell all of my hatchlings to my local reptile shop. I get a lot less money for them than their retail price (or than I would get if I sold direct), but the shop gives me trade prices on all food & equipment for the rest of the year which is a deal worth having.

I sell all of my hatchlings to my local reptile shop. I get a lot less money for them than their retail price (or than I would get if I sold direct), but the shop gives me trade prices on all food & equipment for the rest of the year which is a deal worth having.

That seems like a great idea. Unfortunately for me, the only privately owned pet store in El Paso gets all of their corns from a local breeder already. But, by the time my snake(s?) is/are ready to breed, we'll probably be someplace else in the US, since my hubby is in the Army. So, always a chance we'll end up someplace better, right?

I think it's great that you're thinking about the market for babies BEFORE producing them! Internet sales have slumped in the past few years for me. I suspect this is because it costs $40-$60 to ship overnight and a wide range of corns cost less than that.

I do sell a fair number of snakes to a local pet store, but I've been going there for over 25 years, so I have a good relationship with them.

Another option is Reptiles Shows. If none of these options looks realistic to you as a well to sell the offspring, then I wouldn't breed the snakes. All-too-often I hear of people who produce snakes and then don't know what to do with them.

Also keep in mind that some sort of housing arrangement would need to be made for the babies as well as dealing with the challenges of getting problem feeders to eat.

Well housing is simple enough, my husband is very handy and could build me a nice sturdy rack for tubs. As for problem feeders, I have read an awful lot of helpful little tricks and tips on how to try and get them to eat, however I am sure it is much harder than it sounds and would require much practice and vigilance. I would love to get a few non-feeders before I breed so I can "get the hang" of it. However no one sells non-feeders, since that would be a little unethical, and I don't want to seem like a creep or anything by asking for them.

However no one sells non-feeders, since that would be a little unethical, and I don't want to seem like a creep or anything by asking for them.

Plenty of people sell non-feeders - they simply marking them as such and sell them at a steep discount, or sometimes give them away for the price of shipping.

Obtaining a non-feeder should not be an issue.

Well I haven't seen any yet. But I haven't really been looking for long. I've seen people offer them for free when you purchase another snake. I guess I'll just have to do some more searching.

Back