• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question for us ladies...

oryx_gazella

is a 2D Animator!
Hey there, I'm not quite sure if this has been asked before but...is it ok to handle your pet Corn Snake if us ladies are on our periods?

Sounds like a strange question, but after talking to a mate of mine, she said that Iguanas can change their behaviour when women who are on their periods, handle them: the Iguanas become more aggressive.

Just wondering if this is the same with Corn Snakes?

As I'm looking forward to handling my Corn Snake 'Ammy' for the first time and I don't want her to be scared/ put off/ become aggressive towards me when I am on my period, which I am due very soon.

Cheers :)

Ah cheers, that's good to know ^_^

Wasn't quite sure if Corn Snakes would get aggressive or not, but thought that I'd better ask anyway :)

I may be wrong, but I think you have come up with an original question!!!

I have a snake that gets "excited" when handled, but I'm positive it's not related to periods. :)bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Depo)

Nanci

But male iguanas are just weird enough that I'd totally believe they keyed in to that.

Can't say I've noticed any correlation between the snakes' behaviour and my urge to go in-line skating............

I may be wrong, but I think you have come up with an original question!!!

I have a snake that gets "excited" when handled, but I'm positive it's not related to periods. :)bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Depo)

Nanci

But male iguanas are just weird enough that I'd totally believe they keyed in to that.

XD I felt kinda embarrassed to ask this question, but meh, I thought that I might as well ask anyway ^_^

I have no idea why Iguanas act like that, took me by suprise when I heard about it 0_o, and as I'm a newbie to Corn Snake keeping, just wanted to know if snakes acted in the same way at all.

Though it looks like it doesn't matter, so I don't have to worry.

Thanks for your input :)

Thats always a question I've had, being a newer snake owner and all, just havent had the guts to ask.

Personally I havent seen a difference in my snakes, although I have seen a difference in our male Bearded Dragon, his beard turns black and he bobs his head and waves his arms :confused:

Not really sure why, but I've always come to figure that was the reason, because its always during that "time".

I have read this about iguanas. In fact, some people have had their male iguanas neutered to avoid this aggression. But I have never heard of any kind of reaction of this type in any species of snake.

Yes, this is the first time I ever saw this question here. Nice to see something original!

I'm guessing it has something to do with male iguana's disproportionately large testicles. I can't remember the exact # of times larger but they're a whole lot bigger then their brains :eek:. I couldn't even come in the same room as the iguanas during my period. Might be the same for beardies, and maybe other lizards as well.

Whoa...
I wasn't aware Iguanas changed their behavior due to a girl being on her period! x_x The only time I ever had an iguana or handled one was when I was nine or ten, so...didn't have any problems with that back then. :p
And yeah, I have yet to notice snakes being affected by gals on the rag. :D However I've heard certain breeds of dog (when male) can become more aggressive toward menstruating women, particularly chow chows. Meh.

This is totally unrelated, but, oryx_gazella, are you therian, by any chance? If so we should chat. :)

Whoa...
I wasn't aware Iguanas changed their behavior due to a girl being on her period! x_x The only time I ever had an iguana or handled one was when I was nine or ten, so...didn't have any problems with that back then. :p
And yeah, I have yet to notice snakes being affected by gals on the rag. :D However I've heard certain breeds of dog (when male) can become more aggressive toward menstruating women, particularly chow chows. Meh.

This is totally unrelated, but, oryx_gazella, are you therian, by any chance? If so we should chat. :)

I didn't know that iguanas changed their behaviour either until my mate told me, but part of me thought she was joking XD

And I'm sorry, but I don't know what a Therian is.

Therian in the English language has two distinct definitions:

In taxonomy, the term refers to a member of the Mammalia subclass Theria, consisting of marsupial and placental mammals.

A therian may also be a member of the contemporary subculture of therianthropy, which is based on a spiritual and/or psychological identification with animals.

I love Wikipedia... :)

Sorry I was mistaken in my wonderings, oryx_gazella. I just figured that by the name and icon that perhaps you were either therianthrope/furry or were interested in furry art, etc.

SnakesRule1234 answered the question of what a therian is, although I feel the Wiki dictionary explanation is more of an umbrella term. It isn't always identification with but, for some individuals, as an animal. I myself do not identify as entirely human spiritually and, to a degree, mentally. But that's a conversation for another time. :sidestep:

My sisters just moved into a new house. Since Im at University shes keeping one of my corns...shes living in the middle of nowhere in N.E Scotland...and her cottage is attached to another. Her neighbours were thrilled to hear she was looking after one of mine because apparently they used to have a corn of their own. The story goes that the husband worked offshore and the woman had a lot of trouble with the snake being aggressive when she was on her period but they sort of left it be. The ended up rehoming the snake when the woman got pregnant because he was apparently becoming too much of a problem with her, and since she was the only one looking after him...

A strange one, very interesting...personally, I dont have a problem.

I, like Nanci, have a male corn that gets excited when handled, but it doesn't matter what "time of the month" it is...lol

I did find that during my last period my hubbies new beardied dragons weren't happy with me handling them...hmm I will have to see if they act the same next "time", as they are perfectly fine with me now. It never occurred to us it could be that!

I've never noticed any change in behaviour with my corns, males or females, around that time though.

Roxanne doesn't seem to change at all... but then she's a pretty placid girl anyway, so I would be surprised if much of anything causes her to bat an eyelash. She's actually kind of therapeutic... my girlfriend was playing with her when I was having cramps, and she put Roxanne into my hand, and just watching her for a little while made me forget that my stomach hurt. :)

Gina, I had no idea you were therian. Your DA page didn't even look furry at all.

Anyway, to the op, interesting question.
But I don't think they care.

I'm guessing it has something to do with male iguana's disproportionately large testicles. I can't remember the exact # of times larger but they're a whole lot bigger then their brains :eek:. I couldn't even come in the same room as the iguanas during my period. Might be the same for beardies, and maybe other lizards as well.

This entire thread is hilarious :)

Back