• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question on temps and my new setup

RickNC

So I put my new corn in a ten gallon tank. He is small so he still has plenty of room. I got an undertank heater that is about 8" x 8" and placed it under one side of the tank. Temps are about 78 on the substrate above the heater. That seems a bit too low to me. Temps in my house are usually between 70-72 so the cooler side of his tank is about the same. I am thinking the warm side isn't warm enough. What do you think? I have a small heat lamp that has a 50 watt red bulb in it. Thinking I may need to place that over the tank as well. Any advice will be helpful.

Do you have a digital thermometer with a probe? The probe should be under the substrate. The uth should easily heat the tank to where you need it, usually they heat it too high without a thermostat or rheostat. Temps should be mid 80's on the warm side.

Under the substrate against the glass it is 98. On top of the substrate above the heater it is around 80 and the cool side is 71.2 which is the same as the rest of the house. Humidity is 61%. This is all according to my digital thermo. Thanks for your quick reply!

what kind of substrate are you using ? it sounds like its absorbing a lot of your heat.. and how thick is it?

Get a rheotstat (lamp dimmer switch) asap. Tune it down so the temperature of the glass below the substrate is in the mid 80's. That is the hottest point the snake will be able to come in contact with. If the snake needs to warm up a lot, he can go under the substrate.

darn, no edit button

If you want to make a warm hide to make it easier for the snake to warm up, bury a hide in the substrate on the hot end so the snake has easy access to the warmest area of the tank.

I am using aspen bedding that is about half an inch deep. Seems backwards to me. Like I should be worrying about what the temps are above the substrate on the hot side instead of under the substrate.

Your snake with burro under the substrate and also if it is just a thermo with a probe those take just air temps above the area, a surface temp gun works better and i have found it to be that the temp is really 5-10 degrees warmer then a probe says.

The fear is that the snake will burrow under the aspen and burn himself. So taking the temp on the glass above the uth is the so called best spot. You do need to have a thermometer with a probe (indoor/outdoor type) to get good reading and a rheostat or better yet thermostat.

Like I stated earlier I have a digital thermo with a probe sensor. How do I incorporate a thermostat with the uth? Thanks for the replies.

i don't know where you live, but up here i find that i have to put a heat lamp on as well as a light AND keep my room temp up for my viv to be at good temps. also, for substrate i use shelve backing for my viv. they can't get under it, at all. you can get that at wallmart no prob. just make sure your snake likes it. the first one i got, solid green colour, my snakes wouldn't go on. at all! then i got the thinner one, multi coloured. you get enough in a roll to make two floors for a 20G tank. so i can swap them and clean then when i need. kinda handy. let me know if you want a pic or more details.

marc

fire daemon said:
i don't know where you live, but up here i find that i have to put a heat lamp on as well as a light AND keep my room temp up for my viv to be at good temps. also, for substrate i use shelve backing for my viv. they can't get under it, at all. you can get that at wallmart no prob. just make sure your snake likes it. the first one i got, solid green colour, my snakes wouldn't go on. at all! then i got the thinner one, multi coloured. you get enough in a roll to make two floors for a 20G tank. so i can swap them and clean then when i need. kinda handy. let me know if you want a pic or more details.

marc

I am in the US Southeast. It's stil hitting 70 around here during the day.

Back