• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

question regarding snakes and their gripping abilities

grant

So, here is my question. Do some of you have snakes that don't really grip on to you when you are handling them? We now have two snakes, my anery, and my wife's phantom. My anery is not good at gripping on to me at all, I have yo constantly be way of where he is on my arm do he doesn't fall off. I have actually dropped him a few times onto out carpet because he just slips off my arm or hand.

My where's phantom seems to grip better, though she is new and hadn't gotten used to us yet.

Thanks!

Some of mine are like that too... accident prone to the core. the ones that don't hang on well i just make sure that i have one hand on them at all times unless i am sitting down.

My anery won't grasp on either, we have to hold her carefully. She won't strike/constrict her food either, I think she's just lazy and spoiled ;)

Are we talking corn snakes or snakes in general?

Both of my corns like to wrap around me. Its fun to watch them back-wrap around my arm.

My ball python tries to curl her li'l tail around things, but she's so bulky she doesn't really grip at all. She just uses brute force to hold on, not gripping like a corn snake.

I have 3 corns snakes and all of them grip. I have 3 kingsnakes (did have 4) and all except one will cling to me when I hold them. He just slithers along with out trying at all to grip. He also doesn't like mice with fur and always tries to eat them butt first. So maybe he is just a weird snake lol. He is 4 years old. When he was a baby he would wrap his whole body around a finger and just rest like that. But as he got older he just stopped. So I think it's laziness.

My little amel isn't a gripper either. I've dropped her once, while trying to get a partial shed off of her. Since then, I keep at least one hand securely around her at all times.

Our amel doesn't really hold on and it makes me nervous sometimes that he'll slip/fall. I always try to be a step ahead of him and there to support him as he's bebopping around.

Only one or two of our corns grip...the rest just kind of trust that our hand is going to be there. The boas, on the other hand, always grip either fingers or wrist with their tails. Although their favorite thing to grip is my braid.

The corns like the braid too, but instead of gripping, they weave themselves into it for support.

What I've noticed is that Wadjet grips less when I'm holding her or my husband is holding her (she tends to cruise up and over me, but she coils like a ball python when Alli's holding her. I think she figures the smaller human is more likely to drop her.

--Donna

The snakes who don't grip, do they have climbing opportunities? I'd think snakes who do it on regular basis are better in gripping things.

My girl is good in gripping, she often protests taking out of the viv by gripping stuff with her tail end, even does U-style grip around the door corners, lol.

Had an anery that did that too...I wonder if there is a connection? Captive breeding removes a lot of the darwanism aspect I suppose as a snake in the wild that didnt grip on would likely not last long before it fell from something and eventually died from injuries.

Back