• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question..

ltsweety2

So one of my worries that ive looked up also is if my corn snake (which ive had for a month and some change) is snappy she darts when we try to pick her up. And i have two younger children and im not sure if she will grow out of it.

Background when i first held her at the pet store she was calm n gentle. Now getting her out of her home is a hassle even to feed her so we dont bother her much but when i do want to hold her she make it difficult and about a 15 min process.. If there is anyone with older corn snakes that started this way what are ways to help her get comfy?
Or will i have to accept the face that this is just her?

547876d845024daeb77e57a838b89ce4.jpg

This is her out after 20 mins and trying to bit us.

Keya

hello! there is hope for a calm corn snake! many babies are very wiggly worm. the only way to get them used to you to handle regularly. when do you do go to handle her make sure you pick her up from the side and make sure she sees you you don't want to get her from the top because you might think you're a big swooping hawk and that can really scare her.

another trick is that you can rub your hands on her substrate will be the piece of clothes that smell like you near the viv.

I will agree that young corn snakes are very squirmy, so trying to handle them by just letting them run through your hands is the best way to calm them down. I would recommend sitting down while you do this in a safe spot in case you drop snakey they do not fall too far and if they do fall they cannot run away too far.

with frequent handling there is hope that your little worm will settle down.

good luck!

She is bitey because she is afraid of you. The way to make her not afraid is to gently handle her, often. It's best not to drag out the process of removing her from her viv. Locate her, put your hand flat over her and pick her up out of the viv. Then you can hold her in your cupped hand against you, which will give her a feeling of security.

I just started working at Reptiles by Mack in the baby colubrids department last week. I'm still pretty new to handling snakes, but I'm learning a lot. :) I handle a LOT of babies, and most of ours are bitey wiggly little snots (I love the lil buggers!) that don't appreciate being disturbed unless it's for food. I've noticed that when I hesitate on picking them up, it makes them nervous and much more defensive, and that just makes them even harder to pick up. Try scooping her up through substrate instead of grabbing. Sometimes even that gentle pinch around their belly can startle them into thrashing around for a while. Once you've lifted her into your hands, let her cruise through your fingers like a little snakey treadmill while keeping her directly over her tank or another safe landing spot. I know they can move awfully quick, but try to avoid gripping her and just focus on supporting her belly. Eventually she should settle down.

Some of the most aggressive, flighty hatchlings I've dealt with have ended up curled around my fingers curiously exploring my hand while I attempt to clean their tub one-handed. ^_^

Thanks so much so there is hope.... This is my first snake so im just making sure im treating her right. She is very alert so a fast pick up does make since...
Thanks

Keya

Some of the larger snakes like Pythons and Boas are frequently called the "Lap Dogs" of snakes. You can literally take a Boa or a Python, wrap him around your arm or neck and go for a 3 hour drive and the snake will just stay there.

Corn Snakes are not like that. Corn snakes like to explore. They are curious, they want to see what's going on and they are always on the move.

They will calm down a bit as they get bigger. Mine will actually come to the cage door, and crawl into my hands when I open the door now. He will wrap around my arm and sit sometimes for 10 or 15 minutes. He's very mellow, he never bites, and he seems to like it when I handle him. But this is after having him for a while and handling him every day.

Odds are your Corn Snake will never be a "Lap Dog" type of snake, but through daily interactions and gentle handling you can get past the Bitey stage.

They are curious, they want to see what's going on and they are always on the move.

Maybe mine is the oddball then? I swear it seems like all she does is snooze. If I take her out, she'll roam for about 10-15 minutes, and then she'll find a place and curl up again. she'll spend all day coiled up on my desk if I don't wake her up.

Back