• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question

TheProphecy

Kicksclusive.com
My corn ate a huge mouse about 4 days ago after not eating for about 2 weeks.. since he ate hes been a less active I figured hes still digesting, hes been moving around alot more now but still hasnt done his bizz(taken a crap), now to the question do you think its ok for me to pick him up yet or should I wait a few more days? :shrugs:

I would think so. I handle my adults within two days after feeding usually. I wouldn't necessarily do it for too long because you don't want him to poo on you (or the bed or the couch...) and he might get relaxed enough that he decides "hey, I can keep my cage clean now"...I would think he would be ok but if he seems stressed some you could always put him back in the cage and leave him alone. Maybe start with 5 minutes or so if you're worried?

~Katie

A trick that works for me most of the time - Fill the bath tub just a few inches, with water just a touch on the cool side... About the temp you would bath a baby in, (what's the word? Lukewarm? but err on cooler I'd think) And if the water isn't good they'll you know by violent thrashing.

After a moment it should stick it's tail up and leave you a floater... But I've had a few times after two weeks no poop and the bath trick didn't work - but a few days longer and I cage ploop left behind for him.

Intersting side story - Me and my Girlfriend were playing with Icepick and suddenly she started gaping her vent... At first we thought perhaps she was smelling our new Caramel male who was also being held and it initiated a mating response on her part... But before it was too late I stepped in and placed a towel under her and we both had an indepth look at a large fecal deposit being literlly shot out. And man oh man, given the chance they CAN project that stuff!

Gross as it was, it WAS a learning experiance! 8-P Lucky, no stinky clothes!

GL!

It's OK to hold your snake after 4 days for a little while.I find that if I hold then after 4 or 5 days,after I put them back in there cage they will go poop.I think that crawling around your hands will help them go.

Bob

A trick that works for me most of the time - Fill the bath tub just a few inches, with water just a touch on the cool side... About the temp you would bath a baby in, (what's the word? Lukewarm? but err on cooler I'd think) And if the water isn't good they'll you know by violent thrashing.

Violent thrashing? That should tell you that they dont want to be forced to bathe. If they want to soak, they'll use their water bowl.

What I meant was that the violent thrashing was if the water was too cold or hot... You don't think they enjoy swimming?

Corn snakes are not aquatic animals. Although they may enjoy a "bath", It is only on their terms. A forced soaking, bath, swimming spree, etc. is usually not an enjoyable time for your corn. If they need one, they'll take one :cheers:

The only time I really bathe my snakes is a couple of times in the weeks leading up to brumation when I'm emptying them out. I only have one snake that seems to really object but if he has literally water as deep as his body (so he can't even fully submerge) and a rock to hold onto and get his barings, he's fine. I had a snake give me an inexplicable 3 piece shed a while ago (my snakes always shed in 1 piece) so I gave her a couple of 10 minute soaks in the days leading up to her next shed and that seemed to put her back on track. Other than those times, I think if your husbandry is on track, soaking isn't needed.

when my snakes havn't gone yet, and I want to hold htem, but no poo, I will pick each one up for no more than a minute, put them back down, then if I go in there in 10 minutes, they both went.

Back