• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question?!?

gertrude

Hi,

I juat have a question that I hope you can answer for me.

We have recentley purchased 2 almost adult corns. I was planning on feeding them chicks as that is what my partner has always fed his adult corns. The guy who sold them to me said that chicks don't have as many nutients in them as mice.

Is this true?

I dont know about nutrients but I fed one of my corns a quail chick once and her poo smelled like nothing else you have ever smelled, it was gross.......

Here's a link to the RodentPro nutrient chart for prey animals........Nutrient Composition of Whole Vertebrate Prey

There is a difference between Mice and Chicks nutrient content, but I'm not sure what that difference would mean for a corn snake. :shrugs:

I do know that chicks make corn snake poop rather runny and stink to high heaven and I personally wouldn't want to go there if I had the choice! :puke01: And as rodents are the main prey for corns in the wild, I would rather stick with them.

Hope that helps :)

I think it would be better to feed them what they have been fed before you got them.
They will probably react differently to the chicks if they have never eaten them.
But go ahead and try if you'd like, but let us know!

After more research I don't think it is a good idea to feed them chicks and nothing else. I have discovered that chicks do not contain as much protein and calcium as mice. Apparently they are good as a treat every once in a while. They have had 2 chicks in the last week and really seem to like them but I am going to stick to mice i think.

I know 2 chicks in 1 week is a lot but they are a bit on the skinny side, apparently they weren't treated well by their previous owner.

Thank you for your responses, I will post some pics of them soon, they are gorgeous but I am biased lol.

Back