• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Questions about breeding times

tommyhuck

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forums but have been reading them heavily for sometime before actually registering. I've found a lot of useful information here and I am hoping that you guys will be able to give me a little more.

About two weeks ago I purchased two corn snakes from a lady that wanted to get rid of them because her son had joined the army and couldn't take them with him. The female is a black albino and is just over four feet long and the male is a red albino and just over three and a half feet long. From what I am being told they have been in a tank together ever since they were brought home from the pet store. I don't think it would do any good to mess with the set up being that it has worked for so long?

My question is, why haven't they mated and laid eggs? I was told that a year or two back the female laid a few eggs which I presume were slugs but I wasn't there so I don't know. I don't think the snakes are too young as they seem to be in the full grown length and I've read that you don't need to brumate corn snakes for them to breed. Is there a chance that the female or male is incapable of mating? Or could it be because they have shared an enclosure for so long that they've become more like brother and sister?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

No, it does not benefit them to stay together. They have no emotional attachment. Brother and sister snakes breed with each other all the time.

Agree with above. Chances are if they're male and female, they'll produce eggs. Females can occasionally throw slugs without being bred... Perhaps one did and the other didn't?

As for cohabbing, it's not really recommended. If they ARE a male/female pair and they do start breeding, there's a possibility of him over-breeding her and the female dying...
Also, you run the risk of not knowing who's sick of one of them regurges or something. Plus, corn snakes are naturally solitary animals. They don't enjoy each other's company. If they're sharing a hide, it's cause they're both trying to get the best spot.

@snakehobbyist
I brought them to my local pet store to have them probed. I am assuming that the guy there that owns and runs the place knows what he is doing but I can't be sure. Do you know of a way to tell that an amateur such as myself could do without messing anything up?

@Nanci
If there are no benefits to keeping them together are there any downfalls? Maybe it's just me and it probably is but sometimes it looks like they are playing with each other. A lot of times when I only pull one out it seems like the other will go looking for it. Again it may all be in my mind.

@fuzzoodle
When I purchased them there was only one hide and one water bowl and they were using a pine substrate. I removed everything from the tank and gave it a good cleaning with warm water and then gave both snakes a bath in warm water. I added some climbing limbs and put two water bowls in and three hides. They seem to do their own thing most of the time but do hang out together as in kind of braided together.

Thanks everyone

So now I def. want to put each of the corns in a different enclosure! I didn't realize all of the risks. Since there is no emotional attachment and I do have one extra enclosure I'll be sure to split them up tonight.

Thanks

Back