• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Questions about cages

Pandora

I want to get another cornsnake, and need to go the cheapest route possible. How long can a snake get before you need to move them to a larger tank?Like larger than a 10 gallon? And how do you use a sterilite conainer for a cage?

I'd say the cheapest route you can go if you want to use an aquarium, when thinking long term that is, is to just go ahead and get a 20G long aquarium when you get the new snake. It may be more expensive to get the snake, tank, UTH, etc. in one shot but you'll probably have to get that stuff later anyway.

i was told that too big of a tank can stress a smaller snake. you could always just get the 20 gallon and divide it in half. so that way, your snake isn't stressed and you have the option to expand without buying a whole other tank.

That's a good option. Can you still create a temp cradient with that?

Anyway, it you provide a lot of hides and stuff a snake won't be overly stressed. It's big open spaces that makes them vunerable to predators and that can be stressfull for snakes. A divider would work to though

The cheapest route would be to keep it in a Sterilite or Rubbermaid tub. Upgrading to the next size enclosure wouldn't be a problem because each plastic box only costs a few bucks. If you were to get a hatchling corn, you can buy your supplies at Wal-mart for really cheap:

6 quart Sterilite shoe box with lid: 97 cents
soldering iron (for melting ventilation holes): $4.98
glass ashtray (for a water dish): 94 cents
aspen: $1.97 or maybe it was $2.97, I forgot
plug-in lamp dimmer (for the heatpad): $8ish

Then for a hide, just use a paper towel tube cut in half long ways, with a couple of small entrances on the sides. There's a picture of it in the Corn Snake Manual. This works as a great hide because the paper towel tube covers the entire length of the thermo-gradient, so your corn can hide at whatever temperature it feels like.

The most expensive thing will be a heatpad. You may have to spend $15-$20 for one. I recommend the T-Rex Cobra heat mats because they don't heat up as high as Zoomed. It also doesn't come with an adhesive, so you can just reuse it as you upgrade to larger size enclosures. Make sure you get a dimmer to go with it though.

Back