• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Questions and more questions

MattPreita

MattPreita
So ill be getting my Snake this weekend my first and to tell you the truth is been a gas getting everything set up. well the tanks been on for six hours getting it all ready for the snake. my wife posted a few days ago about the UTH and how hot it should be. I made a dimmer switch for it and it works well but the temp is still hanging at 91 92 under the hide the bottom of the tank is warm but not to hot to touch like it was before the dimmer. is this going to be alright or is it still to hot? second question am in debate weather to get a hatchling or a yearling as my first snake any ideas? pro's and cons? :shrugs:

nervous and excited in California

Matt

91/92 is still way too hot. That needs to come down another 8-10 degrees.

Yearlings are wel establish, past pinkies and normally have a better disposition than hatchlings do. They're not as frail and you can make more mistakes.

I'd say a yearling is a good choice.

Joejr14 said:
I'd say a yearling is a good choice.

And I, personally, would say hatchling. There is satisfaction in having your snake from hatchling and watching it grow under your care(also a learning experience). But again, that is a personal opinion. :)

I went with an older snake for the simple reason that they're established in their routine already, and they are pretty tolerant of beginner mistakes. With a hatchling, you're both learning together and I'd think it would be harder.

If you can get a yearling at a good price I would go with that. I enjoy handling a 1-2 year old more then a hatchling or adult. I also believe they are nicer looking at that age. The bigest advantage of a yearling is that you know wether or not it's a good eater. I would think a lot more fun to watch in your viv as well. Oh and turn that dimmer down.

Back