• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Questions: Frozen Feeder Companies and Feeding amounts over time

vc06

Hoping you guys can help me out -- everyone seems so helpful around here. :spinner:

I've done a bit of searching and gathered quite a few opinions about a certain few companies that sell frozen feeders, but I'm still trying to figure out the best option for an owner of a single snake.

The names of companies I've read about so far are the Big Cheese Rodent Factory, the Mouse Factory, and RodentPro. Are there any others I should be aware of?

Also, I currently only own one snake, and I was looking for a bit of information regarding how much a certain quantity of food would last during the different feeding stages. Considering most of these orders come in 50-100 count packages, I'm trying to figure out how long that would last.

Based on the Munson Plan, could anyone possibly give me a rough guideline as to how many of each type of mice I should buy at the various feeding stages and how long they'd stay fresh -- saving on shipping costs, you know?

Thanks for reading.

it varies by snake, every snake grows differently, it also would depend on the size you snake is currently etc.

50 pinkies will last 1 snake at least 4 months(thats feeding doubles every 5 days)

Check & see if there is a Reptile Society in your state. Ours buys mice in bulk & re-sells to members at cost. It's a very economical way to buy a variety of feeder sizes in 25 count increments. (25 mice, 50 mice, 100 mice, ect)

A local reptile society would also have info on local feeder breeders, so you could save on shipping & buy smaller quantities if needed.

I've never purchased frozen mice online, sorry I can't help there. I breed & process my own mice. Vacuum sealed mice will last MUCH longer than ones loose in a ziplock bag. (they'll get freezer burn after awhile). Vacuum sealed should last a good # of months.

The two suppliers I have bought from say the mice can be kept in a freezer up to 6 months...they suggest putting the bag of mice in another freezer container...ie. freezer bag or glad plastic type container to help keep the mice in the best condition.
Our local herp society selld the mice I think by the dozen which is really nice...also reptile specialty shops usually are a bit less than the big chain petstores.

I answer to your origional question...if you get Reptiles magazine they have a bunch of fedder mice/rat breeders listed in their ad section.
Personally I have had great experience with Rodent Pro and The Mouse Factory...although I am a bit partial to TMF.

I figure, either way the mice even with shipping are about half the cost as the pet store so even if my snakes eat one more than half what was ordered I am ahead of the game:)

I know shipping is a big part of the cost of frozen mice but I think you need to look at the big picture too. If you order just enough of one size mouse to last one snake 6 months (expected freezer life), your snake isn't going to grow enough in six months to matter on the mouse size. If the mice do seem to be getting a little too small, you can feed two mice on every other feeding for a while. When it comes time to reorder, then you can reevaluate the size of mouse to order.

Back