• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Questions Late in the Game

hoho19

My female just got to 300 grams (302 grams) I would like to breed her now. I know it's a little late in the game, but I have some questions.

First I believe she hasn't ovulated since I can't feel any eggs in her and she has not passed any eggs. I'm in South Texas so I didn't bruminate. Is it possible that she will still ovulate. Would the introduction of my male trigger that process? She is about to shed and I was thinking of introducing them after she has shed. She has shed twice (3rd time coming) since January first

Also when introducing do you guys feed the snakes a day or two before and then introduce? I do not want there to be any mishaps with my male eating her. He is 550 grams and a lot larger than she is.

Also with what frequency should I put them together. I've read every 3 days put them together. Should I do this over night or just put them together for a couple hours and then put them back in their separate cages.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Brumation isn't necessary for ovulation or successful breeding. I never brumate mine and they do just fine for me.

Just because you can't feel ova inside her, it doesn't mean that she isn't ovulating. Although I have a couple that are "obvious ovulators", with most of them I can't tell.

Introducing them after she sheds is a good idea. The process seems to give off extra "Come and get it, Big Boy" pheramones!

I'd be inclined to have them both with empty stomachs as this is a first introduction. I think your biggest risk would be a stress-induced regurge, rather than cannibalism.

Just because you can't feel ova inside her, it doesn't mean that she isn't ovulating.

I've been breeding since 2005 and if I had to count on "feeling eggs" in order to breed, I wouldn't know what a hatchling looked like. :rofl:

Back