• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Questions, re fire w/ unknown hets

Senusenu

I do not have set ups planned out, or even have my snakes sexed yet, so this is more a curiosity than anything else.

The fire morph is one of my favorites, and one I had desired since learning about corn snake morphs in general. (Another morph I'd love is flourescent, whiteout, and high expression pied-sided.) I read everything I can find, I've looked at the racks people have built for ideas on housing, I have sourced food providers, I know the general guidelines (3-3-3 for females, and at least 2-2-2 for males, according to some sources), and so on.

But not having the appropriate genders inhibits any impulse breedings, which is a good thing :p

So in the meantime, I am gathering as much info as I can.

I know that fire is bloodred and amel, and that without knowing hets- if there are any hets at all- there's a good chance all I'd see is a bunch of amel babies, het for diffused, with potential unknown hets, and that it would take years to be able to cross them and see what comes out.

Aside from using another fire, what morph could potentially create something more interesting that amel het diffused snakes? I've been playing with the corn calculator, but it seems the majority of the selections only lead to amel and fire snakes.

I know that with long term work, it could be combined with some of the interesting pattern morphs, like stripe, tessera, or motley, and the offspring if line-bred or bred together could then produce the phenotypes of those morph.

Basically, inquiring minds would like to know :)

Assuming you are going to use your fire as one of the parents, and that the fire has no hets, you really have fairly limited choices as far as visual results. In any of these, the 2nd parent could carry other genes, either as hets or visually, but since I'm starting with the assumption the fire has no hets, you won't see it in the first generation offspring.

1- Pair it with another fire (or triple or more gene including both bloodred and amel), and get all fires (with hets dependent on the other parent).
2- Pair it with an amel (plus any genes other than bloodred) and get all amels with het bloodred (plus other hets dependent on the other parent).
3- Pair it with a bloodred and get all bloodreds het amel (plus other hets dependent on the other parent).
4- Pair it with something that does not carry bloodred or amel, and get all normals het bloodred and amel (plus other hets dependent on the other parent).
5- Pair it with a snake that is het for amel, bloodred, ultra or both. This includes ultramel since that is het amel as well as het ultra. You'll get a variety of hatchlings dependent on the other parent, but possibly including amels, bloodreds, fires, ultramels, and ultramel bloodreds.
6- Pair it with a tessera (or buf or other dominant or codom gene if there are any, but that's what I can think of). You'll get tesseras and normals, or if the tessera also carries or is visual for either amel, bloodred, ultra, or both, you'll get a variety similar to above depending on that the tessera has.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. It looks like a lot typed out, but really it is a bunch of variations on amel, bloodred, fire, ultramel, and ultramel bloodred.

However, if you do keep some of the babies and raise them up and breed them, then your options really open up to a huge variety, but some of them would have very long odds. For example, pairing a fire with a ghost gives all normals the first generation. Sounds boring. But keep a pair of the babies, and in the second generation you could possibly get all of the following: normal, amel, bloodred, anery, hypo, fire, snow, hypo amel, granite, hypo bloodred, ghost, avalanche, hypo snow, hypo granite, hypo fire, or hypo avalanche. Sixteen possibilities in one clutch. Wow! But you'd have very little control so if you wanted to hit one in particular, you might not.

If you do something like pair the fire with a snow, all the first generation would be amels, and you'd have fewer possibilities in the second generation, but much better odds of hitting any particular one. Amel, fire, snow, and avalance are the possibilities for that one.

I just typed this up real fast and that's a little bit dangerous with something like this because I probably left something out or miscalculated something, but at least it gives you an idea of the possibilities.

Back