• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Quick Check - Ruby

ruraldean

Old and Getting Older
Hi

Okay, this is the set up so far, and your comments would be appreciated:

Ruby appears to be about 8 moths old, measures just over 18" and weighs 20 grammes. She's temporarily housed in a 12" x 8" Geo, in aspen with a water bowl and small hide. Heat is provided over half the floor area by means of an externally placed heat mat (UTH). The ambient temperature is a steady 70-72
degrees and the heat mat provides warmer, comfortable but unmeasured spot heat. Ruby feeds on 2 pinkies every 4-5 days, dumps within 2 days, and drinks filtered tap water which is changed daily.

Some of you may remember that I have to wait until September for a full viv setup, because Ruby (or someone like her) was to be a birthday present, and that's when it is.

I've therefore done a bit of research and decided to go for a 30" x 15" x 15" viv from 888reptiles.com over here in England. They've been spot on for Matt (Rusty Springfield) and his sister, a boa owner. Ruby will continue with aspen as she likes tunnelling and it seems to be the substrate of choice on this site. I understand that 30" isn't as good as 36" but I have a plan - to upgrade later and claim I need a new snake for the now empty viv! :dgrin: (Okay, it's because I've only got room for a 30" at the moment, although that will change.)

Everything in my mind is clear (unless anyone tells me different) except the mode of heating. The forum seems to be split, and I've seen other forums leaning one way or the other, so I'll outline my thoughts:

Heat mat: will provide belly heat, but might be prone to shorting and cooking the snake, or burning the snake as she burrows down and settles directly on it. Burning solution: cover with a sheet of glass, cardboard or ceramic tile. Problem - potential heat dissapation.

Ceramic heater: provides ambient heat and basking heat. Does not burn snake providing it's protected. This is what family members use. Problem - corn snakes don't bask.

I think I favour the ceramic heat lamp as overall I consider it safer and I can provide a temperature gradient easily. Also, if snakes sleep during the day then perhaps they seek out the cooler, sheltered spots to do it - hence their love of the hide, often on the cool side (from reading the posts here). a radient heat source will provide heat to the substrate suface, and providing Ruby has concealment (trailing plants etc) I think she may make use of it during digestion and for thermoregulation.

This is the last link in my preparation (I do like to prepare) so can someone answer the following 3 questions with one word each to give me some guidence?

1. Is Ruby's current set-up okay for now?
2. Is her future set up okay (once heating is sorted)
3. Mat or Ceramic - in one word?

If I'm on the right track then I have this site to thank for it. If not, I've read all the idiot's posts! :awcrap:

Thanks.

Paul

1. A thermostat to control temp output of heat mat and digital thermometer to measure heat output would be good. At least 2 hides are recommended, one on the warm side, one on the cool side :)
2. Future set up sounds good, especially if you plan to upgrade if she grows too big for comfort :)
3. Either, as long as it's regulated by a thermostat and measured with a good thermometer :)

I know they are not all one word answers, but I kept it as brief as I could ;)

Best wishes,

Back