• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

rack systems, and day and night cycle

newbie319

Hi everybody! I recently purchased a rack system and I was wondering, how do I go about giving my snakes a day and night cycle. It is so dark in there and no where to even attempt to put a light. I know its a little late to be thinking about it, with having bought it already. How important is it for my snake to have this day and night cycle, and does anybody know how I can put a light in there? Thanks everyone in advance :)

It isn't super necessary to have a day and night cycle-- lots of people don't do it. But if you really wanted to you could put the lights in your room on a timer. Snakes in a rack are mostly in the dark most of the time but they'd be able to see the light from the front of each tub.

I run lights on a timer, a big 6 foot aquarium light shines into my breeder racks. I am probably in the minority, and never did it until I got into hognose. I wane back the hours as the summer turns to fall and it's down to about 8 hours a day now. I have noticed no difference at all in the snakes, behavior, activity, breeding, etc. Before this, I always tried to have racks face a window. But they certainly breed and behave normally with no lighting.

Thanks everybody. Your answers put my mind to rest. I thought maybe I wasted $300 and wouldn't be able to use the rack! Another question, I've drilled holes in the sweater boxes but I'm still getting alot and I mean ALOT of condensation on the tubs. She only has a little bowl of water in there and I still can't seem to keep the humidity down. Any ideas? Right now I got her water dish out and when I hold her I offer her some water. I don't want her to get ill from the high humidity. Any help?

Well, first dry it out thoroughly. If the outside air is cold, it will condense on the front unless there's lots of air flow. I prefer melting holes to drilling, but just make sure there are no rough edges. You may need more holes, smaller water dish, or even move the rack into a room that's a couple of degrees warmer. It's pretty neat how condensation can start or go away with just a slight change in temp either inside or out.

I sanded down any rough edges, before putting my corn in the tub. I ran my hand over the holes and if I felt the slightest poke! I made sure I sand it down. The room she's in is the warmest room of the trailor! Right here in the living room. I will try and see if I can't find a heat vent that isn't right in the way of walking or sitting, and see if that will help. If anything could I maybe put a electric heater by the front of the rack? Or will that just interrupt hot/cold side? The heat tape is in the back so the front is her cooler area. Thank you so much for taking the time and answering my questions. It's really appreciated! :)

I wouldn't run a space heater unless the temperatures necessitate that you do. As bad as too cool is, too hot is more dangerous more quickly. More holes will allow more flow, you can put them on all four sides of a tub if needed. Just remember with more air flow, you are also losing more heat.

Thank you. I did put more holes, 3 rows on the front where her water dish is and 3 rows down the sides. I thought I'd leave the back alone because I was worried I'd lose heat and not be able to keep it steady. I'll see how it looks in the morning! Again thanks everybody for your input :)

Back