• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rat Snake question

Sickmak90

Local shop has a small Rat Snake. They were unable to tell me if it was wild or captive bred but I am still considering the purchase. I have caught baby Rat snakes in the wild and they have never acted as aggressive as this one. I actually caught 4 hatchlings inside my grandfathers barn and not one of them struck me. I still regret not keeping one...

Anyways, this snake was VERY aggressive. I was probably bitten 10 times between opening the tank (poor girl, who was pretty attractive was pretty scared lol) and putting it down. Now that I think about it I should have got the girls #, she seemed impressed with my snake knowledge and fearlessness lol.

Once again off track, what are the chances of this snake being tame? I assume the stressful life in a pet store being handled and poked at all day may cause some of the aggressiveness. But how aggressive are Rats compared to corns.

I have always wanted a Rat snake...I have no idea why but I think I may get this one tomorrow. Any advice before I do?

I am not sure what the difference between corns and rats are regarding aggressiveness, but I'd assume that with regular handling and interaction with the snake, it would tame down eventually. Although sometimes that is not the case, and there are times when a snake is just downright mean! If you really like this rat snake, I would suggest that you try to spend some time with it first at the store, and if you notice it getting a little calmer as it recognizes you, then you will get the idea that it would be tameable.

Just remember it's a small snake and any small snake thinks that anything bigger than it is out to eat them! I'm sure she's just very scared, and it's nothing personal :p

It is very very very tiny. It looks like it may be fresh out of the egg. I am tempted to get it, just need to see how my funds look. If I wasn't worried about parasites I would try to catch a wild one and keep it. Heck, the wild ones I have caught never even tried to bite me lol.

Well since it is very very tiny, then it has even more reason to be fiesty! I know baby corns can sometimes be nippy as babies because they are scared, but I believe most tame down with regular interaction and handling. If you like her, and you are able to afford and house her, I say you should go for it! :) Don't forget to post pics ;)

Wheather it is wild caught or captive breed, you still will keep it isolated. Handle it more at the shop, plus it will give you the chance to visit the attractive girl, SOme snakes will just bite no matter what. What kind of rat snake is it? This will give you a good reason to call the girl. Google search the type of rat it is. Is it a blk rat, grey rat, yellow rat, the list goes on and on??? Heck even corn snakes are types of rat snakes, they are all pantherophis(?). Usually handling will solve the whole bitting thing. I call it theropy, handle daily even if just for a minute or two.

I've bred a variety of Rat Snakes and babies are far more "bitey" than corns. Rat Snakes can also be "moody" and prone to bite for periods of time. How you approach the snake is important. If you are grabbing it from above, it may view you as a predator and react defensively.

Aggressive snakes, when picked up with a stick or snake hook, can often be much tamer once they're lifted off the ground. I have found that I'm far more better off moving slowly and deliberately when approaching Rat Snakes. Fast movement sometimes causes them to go into "strike mode."

I'd make sure the snake is eating before buying it. Baby Rat Snakes sometimes insist on lizards or other non-pinky prey.

One of my Baird's Rats:

b1.jpg

They tame out pretty easy from my experience. I caught a few(like 5 different ones) in the mouse shed this summer. they act all bad and stuff. Like tspuckler stated movement was the key to handle them without getting bit up. These were large wild ones too. If I moved steadily with a purpose they usually just let me get away with holding them.

Oh all 5 of the mice stealers were released.

I wish I would have kept one or two of he wild babies I caught. Black rats eventually turn all black right?

I have a 3 year old female leucistic texas rat I am selling. She is tame as can be! About 4.5 feet right now. She has been nothing but a complete sweetheart the entire time I have had her. So it is possible to find some out there that will be very good pets for those that like non biters.

Local shop has a small Rat Snake. They were unable to tell me if it was wild or captive bred but I am still considering the purchase. I have caught baby Rat snakes in the wild and they have never acted as aggressive as this one. I actually caught 4 hatchlings inside my grandfathers barn and not one of them struck me. I still regret not keeping one...

Anyways, this snake was VERY aggressive. I was probably bitten 10 times between opening the tank (poor girl, who was pretty attractive was pretty scared lol) and putting it down. Now that I think about it I should have got the girls #, she seemed impressed with my snake knowledge and fearlessness lol.

Once again off track, what are the chances of this snake being tame? I assume the stressful life in a pet store being handled and poked at all day may cause some of the aggressiveness. But how aggressive are Rats compared to corns.

I have always wanted a Rat snake...I have no idea why but I think I may get this one tomorrow. Any advice before I do?

I wish I would have kept one or two of he wild babies I caught. Black rats eventually turn all black right?

For the most part yes. Some retain a slight pattern that you can see in the right light. You did the right thing by letting those babies go. Less to worry about with captive bred snakes.(if indeed this one is captive bred).

The examples I've found in Kentucky retain a lot of pattern and almost look like Texas Ratsnakes. The individuals I've found in Ohio retain a decent amount of pattern as well. I have seen some from other localities that are almost solid black - so their adult "look" can vary. Here's one that I found in Central Ohio in May of this year:

blackrat2.jpg

It's very understandable why a baby snake would be defensive and try to bite. After all, in the wild, there's only one reason anything picks up a baby snake...to EAT it. After the baby snake has been picked up gently and learns that no harm will come to it when it's picked up, it should become less defensive. How would you feel if something as big in proportion to you, as you are to that snake, reached down and went to pick you up? You'd be scared to death and show panic defense aggression too!

Back