• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Re-freezing

kupo9

Tried a search but had no idea what to search!

Is it okay to re-freeze a thawed out feeder if does not get eaten? If not, what can happen?

It's not recommended. Would you want to eat meat that had been frozen, thawed, re-frozen, and thawed again?
It loses quite a bit of the nutritional value after the second freeze/thaw.

They are already comprised on a cellular level when just dead at room temp. To die and be frozen quickly is fine for consumption by our snakes (or us). But to thaw, lie out, and re-freeze, that's asking for liquid guts and other problems. A frozen mouse costs about a buck retail. Never refreeze it to "try again."

What I mean lenny is that I am not an expert on the compisition of mice but I wouldnt risk it

I always thought it worked the same as cooking for ourselves... If you thaw out chicken breast but changed your mind and wanted to refreeze you cant you have to cook it anyways or you could get food poisoning... the bacteria had a chance to regroup and breed and putting it into the freezer wont kill it and it will be doubled up the next time you thaw it and cook it.

It is not recommended to refreeze anything that has reached the temperature danger zone for longer than four hours. That zone is anything from 41f-140f (f=Fahrenheit)! Bacteria growth slows in temps below 41f and is killed at temps above 140f.

There is a break down in nutritional value from the freezing and thawing process, but it is minimal.

So basically, what I am saying is if the rodent has been dead and left in the food temperature danger zone for more than four hours, discard. But, as long as the internal temperature of the rodent is brought down below 41f for less than four hours and then when thawed, not left in the temp danger zone for for the remainder it's OK.

So to really break it down-down. Let's say you thawed a pinkie at 6pm and you didn't feed it to a snake. Assuming that the pink was killed and immeadiately frozen, you now have roughly four hours to feed that pinkie to your snake. But, after one hour 7pm, the snake has not eaten it. You can then safely refreeze that pinkie for another days use. You have to remember that it was kept in the food temp danger zone for at least 1 hour. So mark it! Now that the rodent is frozen, all bacteria growth has stopped. Freezing does not kill bacteria, it just slows it's growth way way down. Probably in about a half hour after re-introducing it to the freezer, around 7:30 let's say, it should be frozen again.

So the next feeding day comes around. You take that pink out of the freezer. Remember that you only have roughly 2.5 hours left to feed that pink to your snake. That includes thawing and then feeding.

At this point, regardless of how much time the pink was out, there is no more re-freezing time left. You can only re-freeze a food product safely once and that is only if you have enough time left on the four hour clock. That means if the snake doesn't eat it this time, definitely throw it away.

I really hope I didn't confuse you! When I took my food safety class a number of years ago, it took me a bit to figure out what I was being told. I'm also, not that smart. ;)

The long of the short, sometimes it's just better to discard the rodent, then worry about all the jargon I just wrote.

Good Luck, :cheers:

Wayne

Back