• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ready for bigger meals?

J.T.Cosmo

My corn is 22 weeks old and i'm wondering if he's ready for the next size. He's been on fuzzies for 6 weeks with no problem and the last couple of feeds he's been active later on that evening were as before i didnt see him for a couple of days while digesting. I was thinking of giving him 2 fuzzies this time instead of moving straight to bigger mice. I just wondered how long should i give him to eat the 2? Will it take him longer to digest? I usually feed him friday mid morning and he doesnt get out till sunday night. All opinions are welcome , thank you.

Two fuzzies will defiantly take longer to digest, do you know how much your snake weights? For a general reference do a search for the terms "Dean's chart" which will show you the comparisons of weight vs. size of mouse. Hope that helps ;)

---Kenny

Thanks.

Tried him with 2 fuzzies yesterday and he only took 1 which is fine, I'll try him on a bigger fuzzy next week. I don't have scales yet , their next on my list . Getting him to stay still and straight isnt exactly easy either but he's at least the length of my arm.Lol. That doesnt exactly mean anything to you i know but struggling for measurements at the moment. Thanks for your reply.

J.T.Cosmo said:
Tried him with 2 fuzzies yesterday and he only took 1 which is fine, I'll try him on a bigger fuzzy next week. I don't have scales yet , their next on my list . Getting him to stay still and straight isnt exactly easy either but he's at least the length of my arm.Lol. That doesnt exactly mean anything to you i know but struggling for measurements at the moment. Thanks for your reply.
There is a program out there that will estimate the snake's length using a picture. All you do is take a picture from over top of the snake, be sure to include a reference object such as a ruler or small box that you know the measurements of. Best not to use round objects.

I can't recall what the program is called, but I think Serpwidegts designed/programed it. Not certain - so if anyone else has more info they might be able to get that for you.

If you are looking for a scale, you can get either a postal scale from your local office supply store or get a digital produce scale from Walmart or Target. They are fairly inexpensive and work quite nicely.

Jenn

Jenn

Great Idea!

Thank you so much for the website, I had heard about it but didnt know how to find it. It never even occurred to me to weigh the fuzzies but now i will as im getting scales today. I'll do a search on feeding once i've weighed him and see how much he needs. I'll start keeping a journal on his weight and size of his meals. I've found this forum extremely helpful and people always seem ready to help beginners like myself.I'll try not to ask to many dumb questions. Lol. BTW why does 1 corn never seem like enough?

snakemom1961 said:
They're like potato chips. You can't have just one!

That's what I was thinking, I knew there was a saying that would go perfect with corn snakes. Can't have just one, that is so true.

Thanks for the reply Callum, I did try the 2 and he left the second 1. Maybe next week i'll try him with 2 and wait a bit longer, was a bit rushed this week. Cheers.

Back