• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ready to Drop Eggs...

richm2778

Hey Guys,

It seems as if my female Leucistic Texas Rat Snake is going to double clutch this year. WOW!! For a first breeding season, I am thrilled. I was unprepared for the first clutch, and out of 12 eggs, only 7 are still viable. They are on day 43 right now. I am really excited because she seems very restless, and she is constantly in and out of her nest box. I am more prepared this time, though,a nd I am really excited because I am looking forward to actually being ready and having some experience to see how many of the eggs I am able to move through incubation and into life.

For the more experienced breeders out there, If I am using a hovabator, can i put the new eggs in a tupperware underneath the first clutch? I mean, the temps are regulated and everything seems to me like it should be fine; however, I have not done this before, so I wanted to check it out. I am thinking that I will take out the tray on the bottom of the HovaBator and just put the new tupperware on the bottom. Then, I can put the first clutch tupperware on top of it. What say you?

Rich

I don't think I would try that. Moving the tray with 43 day old eggs would shake them a bit. How would you feel if you dropped the tray or something bad happened? Just my thinking.

I'd feel terrible, but I don't have any other way to incubate the new eggs. I'll have to be careful, but as long as they are stable, will it be alright?

Isn't there space to the side of the first clutch? There may not even be space to stack the two without something touching the heating element... :shrugs:

Congrats on the eggs. Can't wait to see pippies! =)

The first clutch is in a large container that came with the incubator. It will fit better stacked than side by side. As soon as they pip, I will post pictures.

Another thing that just occurred to me: If you stack them, the ones on bottom will be cooler. I also agree with the idea that moving around the egg containers could be dangerous. If they fit comfortably side-by-side, I would go with that; otherwise, stack them and minimize your checks on the new eggs until the first clutch has finished hatching out...

Back