• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Reasons For Breeding?

Ocelot

I mentioned this in another topic, but anyways...

Why do you breed your snakes? I haven't begun breeding (my snake is only a year old), but was wondering why you do it? Is it because you want more snakes, ir something else? Do you ever sell your snakes?

There are three main reasons I can think of for breeding...

1) Money (which there isn't a whole lot of in cornsnakes, i.e. you'll never get rich)
2) Developing new morphs (and trying to beat Rich to the newest one!)
3) Oops, you're not supposed to house them together?

It's fun to watch them hatch and it's nice to make your own snakes so you don't have to buy as many, too. I'm sure others have other reasons.

I'm going to sell mine. I also have some I will be breeding next year that are pure line Okeetees from wildcaught animals. I'm breeding those for their bloodlines.

I would like to breed snakes for the experience, once. If I enjoy it, or find good homes for the offspring and people want more, I would do it again. If I hate it, or screw up, then my snakes will be "just" pets, which is more than fine with me. :)

I guess another reason would be if I had some morph that was in demand, but I don't.

I breed mine for the experiece, it is wonderful. As long as you research it (and come here for advice, obviously) you shouldn't have problems.

I was completely facinated by the whole proccess and as long as my snakes are healthy i will keep doing it. Never had any trouble selling them either but i agree with Dionythicus there will never be big money made from it.

Isobel

I do it for the joy of seeing those little noses pipping for the first time and the pleasure in knowing that each new Corn is a potential new Corn owner in the community. The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have the room for long-term morph development projects and it certainly isn't for the money!

I sell all of mine.

I have a few reasons for doing it...

1st - I am so disappointed with the lack of cornsnake morphs available here in BC Canada. To top it off when we do get interesting morphs available they usually have to sell for at least $200- $300, which would put them out of reach for the average hobbyist.

2nd - Breeding would be a nice way to supplement my low income as I am a part time stay at home mom. I have a friend who supplies me with all the mice I need as long as I throw him a bag or two of feed <which I can get for free> every now and then.

3rd - I am very interested in learning more and more about genetics. Corn snakes have such a huge variability to play with and can really teach a newbie like me so much!

4th - My goal is to get out there and show the general public around my area what great pets cornsnakes can be. I would like to make up displays with nice pictures and information packets to give out to the public. I do NOT plan on bringing actual snakes out in public though of course unless I have permission and support of the location I hope to display in...

Rebecca

There is a big sense of accomplishment when you see those hatchling poking their heads out. To me it is one of the most exciting times. For that reason alone, why not do it? The money is minimal, but it is the only Hobie i have that kinda pays for itself- that helps justify it for the wife. Lastly, i have been able to educate many people around me about snakes. Most of my hatchlings have gone to neighborhood kids who get taught the right way to care for them, not the pet store way! That feels good.

because..

I enjoy breeding them for the point of being able to breed and raise something period! I love seeing those noses peeking out of the eggs. I love seeing what new things I produce every year. I actually dread the selling part. It's the part I have to deal with people and shipping, ect, ect. If all I had to do was just the breeding, hatching out, and tending to babies. And someone else did all the selling...that would be heaven...LOL!

I hope to start breeding next year, as a genetics project hehe. Trying to find out Treasure's hets... and it that means buying 40 snakes.. umm... yay? hehe.

Back