• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Red lights

krazybob

Krazy About Snakes
I heard that snakes can' process red light. Does that make red lights a good idea for night spot heating where necessary and for viewing?

Robert :shrugs:

Theoretically, they can't see a red light,but I'm not entirely convinced that's true. I used one on my Green tree python for a short while when my other heating unit took a dive and she seemed to be very able to see it. She was less active and noticed movement within the room easily. I didn't notice anything like that with the corns, but they are not as active at night as the pythons, who are completely nocturnal and have a different pupil. I do know that the heat lamp really dries the air, and you might end up with bad sheds. I would stick to the under tank heater for warming and use a black light (black party bulb, not u.v. light) for night viewing.

I use painted pigmy bulbs at night time to keep my heat up and have no problems with the snakes, they come out as soon as the red light goes on and their daytime one off. Although it is debatable if they can see them or not, the light will definatly appear duller and when they get used to it they are happy to except it is night time.

For heating I would always go with a heat mat on all the time but in winter here I need that little bit extra heat. As for veiwing I love seeing my snakes active but using red spots is pointless as your tank gets hotter than during the day. I am considering LEDs and think that red ones would be a good choice. Here in the UK on ebay you can buy moonlights off a seller for fish tanks. He does water proof LED clusters in any colour. In red these would be perfect.

Back