• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Reformed snake hater

contessa20

Hi I'm Contessa from Delaware. All my life I have had a pretty awful snake-phobia. Just seeing them on TV or in a book would be enough to give me a full-blown panic attack. I had night terrors about snakes being in my bed or my room and would wake up screaming and beating my husband at least 2-3 times a week.

About 18 months ago I asked my brother, a long time pet store worker, to help me get over my paralyzing fear. I started going into the store every single week and he would help me hold the sweet and gentle snakes while warning me off the ones that were less personable or nippy. A started gradually feeling less anxious and eventually my night terrors stopped almost completely.

About 9 months ago I fell in love with a ball python but didn't think I was quite ready to be a full-fledged owner yet. Last week I fell completely for a little butter corn snake. My husband and son are still creeped out by snakes but not the way I was and they're willing to consider the idea of me bringing this guy home.

I've been doing a ton of reading here and on care sheets, so I thought it was time to introduce myself. :)

Hi!

What a great story, and I'm really happy to hear about your progress. I wish I could do something similar with spiders.
My boyfriend is terrified of snakes, but I am very respectful of that, and I have my own room for them, so it works out.

Even if you don't end up with the little guy, hopefully you eventually will! Browsing this site is always a great motivator though…

So…welcome!

What an amazing story! Sometimes animals who haunt us are simply our power animals, and at times they may be frightening. Snakes are associated with change and transformation, which can be frightening as well, but maybe they were trying to tell you something. Anyway, overcoming any fear is a great accomplishment, and means that you have great personal power. Not everyone can do this. In my opinion, something is leading you down this path, and I think you should embrace it.

Hello! What an awesome story! It's hard to get over a phobia and face your fears. I have a very high respect for someone who is willing to do it, especially without being forced. I feel that snake phobias are just lack of education and experience, which could probably be said of most phobias I guess. My husband was very anti snake. I have always wanted one but was never allowed. I respected my husband when he told me that was one of few animals he didn't want in the house (we have a zoo lol). I did manage to talk him into a bearded dragon with persistence. I love and adore my beardie and he thinks she's pretty awesome too. He loves to make me happy and my present for our third anniversary was a corn snake. The beardie won him over on the reptile front and with me showing him and teaching him about our corns he is no longer creeped out by them at just the sight and he now holds them and enjoys watching them.

Welcome to the forum. I can't say enough about the wonderful, helpful, and caring people here. It's an amazing place to learn, make friends, and enjoy the beautiful snakes. They are gorgeous and mesmerizing.

That's fantastic! Im just working on my spider phobia, but I have not made that kind of progress yet. I have mad respect for what you've done! I just got my first corn(s) this year, and have not regretted it for an instant. They're a pretty awesome pet.

I am with Sharan, I am totally freaked out by big, hairy spiders, mostly because I don't know what to expect if they do bite. With a snake you can kind of tell when they are pissy and nippy, and every time I have been bitten it was my own fault, I should have left well enough alone.

What a great thing, getting over your fears, and we are all here to cheer lead you on!

I am especially glad you are doing your homework FIRST before you get the little guy without a complete setup. We are a corn snake forum, but several members also have balls and other snakes. I would post down in the "misc discussions" topic, you will definitely get more answers there and could also lead you to a good breeder. If you are longing after a pet store snake, it isn't really recommended if it is from a big box store, the employees there are not as knowledgeable about every species of reptile and can and will mislead you with the information they read on a generic printout, plus their prices are sky high.

You will find lots of breeders here and even if you have to spend a little more for the shipping cost, if you do get a sick animal from a bad pet shop you will have wished you spent that extra $50 for the shipping! Most breeders here care so much for their animals and you are almost certainly getting a well bred, well cared for, healthy animal. And you can rely on them to help you out with any questions you have.

(Personally, I say "go for the corn snake"!!!)

Welcome!!!

My husband was very anti snake. I have always wanted one but was never allowed. I respected my husband when he told me that was one of few animals he didn't want in the house (we have a zoo lol). I did manage to talk him into a bearded dragon with persistence. I love and adore my beardie and he thinks she's pretty awesome too. He loves to make me happy and my present for our third anniversary was a corn snake. The beardie won him over on the reptile front and with me showing him and teaching him about our corns he is no longer creeped out by them at just the sight and he now holds them and enjoys watching them.

That sounds a lot like my husband. Before I got my bearded dragon 9 yrs ago my husband thought all reptiles were gross. Now he doesn't mind the old guy and even really likes both the leopard gecko and tortoise. I'm hoping that in time he might even come to like the corn snake, too. My 15 yr old, however, still won't hold any of the reptiles though he doesn't mind them in the house or even in his room.

I am with Sharan, I am totally freaked out by big, hairy spiders, mostly because I don't know what to expect if they do bite. With a snake you can kind of tell when they are pissy and nippy, and every time I have been bitten it was my own fault, I should have left well enough alone.

What a great thing, getting over your fears, and we are all here to cheer lead you on!

I am especially glad you are doing your homework FIRST before you get the little guy without a complete setup. We are a corn snake forum, but several members also have balls and other snakes. I would post down in the "misc discussions" topic, you will definitely get more answers there and could also lead you to a good breeder. If you are longing after a pet store snake, it isn't really recommended if it is from a big box store, the employees there are not as knowledgeable about every species of reptile and can and will mislead you with the information they read on a generic printout, plus their prices are sky high.

You will find lots of breeders here and even if you have to spend a little more for the shipping cost, if you do get a sick animal from a bad pet shop you will have wished you spent that extra $50 for the shipping! Most breeders here care so much for their animals and you are almost certainly getting a well bred, well cared for, healthy animal. And you can rely on them to help you out with any questions you have.

(Personally, I say "go for the corn snake"!!!)

Welcome!!!

My husband is acquiescing to the corn snake but is adamantly against a ball python right now, so that's not even in the cards at the moment. Maybe this corn will be an ambassador and I'll one day have one of each. :)

Typically, I'm very anti pet-store animal, however, given my previous snake phobia and the fact that I DO still have some snake hang ups that I'm working through, I feel very strongly that I need a snake that I have some sort of connection with. Maybe that sounds weird, but that's where I am on my journey right now. This particular corn stole my heart from the first time I held him and I've been in to hang out with him nearly every day for the last 2 weeks.

I would never take the word of anyone on animal care without doing my homework though. As much as I'm certain that everyone here knows what they're doing, I still even fact check the information I've read against other sources. When it comes to a pet store worker (even my own brother), I'm 10 times more diligent about rechecking facts.

As for everything else, I actually already have a ton of appropriate supplies (20L, water dishes, aspen, hides, heat mat, a temp probe, & a temp gun, plus a reptile first aid kit) and there is a monthly reptile show locally where I can get good quality feeders. The plan now is to set up everything and make sure it's running at least 24 hrs before bringing him home.

And, find a breeder who has yearlings or older. They are established eaters and much more laid back. The babies go at breakneck speed when you let loose for even a second!

So, I just brought my little bugger home and I am both in love and terrified.

:eek:

I held him for over an hour before finally deciding to just do it. I decided to overcome my fear of snakes because I didn't want to live my life afraid of the unknown. Not getting him now out of fear of the unknown would have been a giant step backwards.

*deep breath*
I got this!

I've also been home a total of 90 min. and I've already checked about 11 times to make sure he hasn't escaped. :rolleyes:

So happy that not only did you get over your fear, but you fell in love! I wish I could get over my fear of spiders. For a long time I wouldn't even go to the reptile show because I knew there were tarantulas there! And don't even get me started on house centipedes...

Congratulations on being brave and facing your fears.
I have found corn snakes to be great pets. You did your homework and had everything ready, another sign that you and your new pet will do well together.
Now that you have brought your new friend home, make sure to give the snake time to adjust to it's new environment.
Good Luck!

Yay for you! Now the hard part is letting him settle in for a week or so before holding or feeding him so he gets comfy in his new digs.

And yes, we need pics!

Yay for you! Now the hard part is letting him settle in for a week or so before holding or feeding him so he gets comfy in his new digs.

And yes, we need pics!

I actually bought him with the enclosure he's lived in since he was a hatchling in order to minimize any anxiety he might have. I also know it's not recommended, but I did go ahead and feed him today because that has always been his feed day and he's never refused a meal. I thought not feeding him would actually be more stressful. He ate for me with absolutely no hesitation, though he did freak me out a little by going out the back side of the feed cup and onto the dresser at first. He was loose for less than a second before I grabbed him but I still freaked a little bit. He'll definitely be left alone though for a few days so he can digest and adjust. I caught him out exploring in his cage right after he ate, which is good, I guess.

That is so awesome that you overcame your fear! Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of corns. I can't wait for pictures. I'm so glad you decided to go ahead and get him. Any name ideas yet? Keep us updated and if you have any questions at all feel free to ask. There are so many knowledgeable people here

Back