• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Refreeze pinkies? everyone says different!!

RainbowMary

I've read a few threads on this and EVERYONE says different so I don't know what to do!, the reptile shop I get my pinkies from is a couple of miles away, today I cycled there and back but had to quickly stop off at my brothers on the way back, all in all the pinkies were probably out of the freezer for about an hour and a half maybe a little more........does this mean I cannot feed them to my snake? because I always ride and what about times she refuses and they've been left out 2 hours to thaw? throw them then aswell? I know it's not a lot but I can't really afford to waste a few quid here and there, but I don't want to harm my snake of course. thanks

I never refreeze any of mine. There dirt cheap if you buy them in bulk, and not worth having to refreeze. But for someone that has less, there really isn't a harm in refreezing them once on bigger mice, like hoppers through adults. But I think that refreezing pinks would just make them even nastier the second time around.

My rule of thumb is that it is alright to refreeze a pinkie if it has been thaw for 4 hoours or less.

More time than that and you have to worry about tissue breakdown and bacteria growth.

My rule of thumb is that it is alright to refreeze a pinkie if it has been thaw for 4 hoours or less.

More time than that and you have to worry about tissue breakdown and bacteria growth.

I agree 4 hours or less would be fine. I have done it a fiew times when it has taken longer to get home than i thuaght and they have all just about defrosted.

I think bacteria starts to get a foothold on thawed meat in 6 hrs...
I have refroze an extra pinky once or twice that was thawed out for about 2 hrs.
When I had to get some frozen feeders at the petshop when I ran out of my own mice, I took an icepack with me and some extra plastic baggies to keep them cold on the 30min trip home.

I dont refreeze or really had no reason to,But if I know I will be a while to get home I take a small cooler and some ice and well I wount have to worry about the mice.:dancer:

Pinks, if my snake doesn't eat it I find a suitable ravenous Leopard Gecko in my collection. There is always 1 that will eat a pink. Actually, non of them turn them down when I offer.

hey guys -
We had a store that sold a lot of chicken - especially frozen.
whenever anything defrosted it had to be thrown away - or sold fresh quickly.
Even if it didn't go off it become dodgy.

If its not good for people - I wouldn't take the chance with my snake -

Back