• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Refusal becoming frequent

Fordie

I have not posted on this site for a while, my corn, now a year old, has been doing just great until now.
Recently she has been refusing meals here and there.
She is feeding on a medium size mouse every five days.
Her temps, humidity, home, hides, substrate etc is all in check, as is her general health.
I was wondering if this refusal could maybe be down to the winter coming in, it is not noticably cooler in her viv yet i suppose the cool end of her viv could be a fraction cooler. Her thermometers read correct temps.
She is 2 1/2 feet in length too so i dont think that this is down to her slowing down her growth or anything.......
any ideas much appreciated!

Is she aware of the outside photoperiod? That could be what is cueing her to slow down. I have been told that rat snakes may pick up feeding if given an artificial summer photoperiod during the winter.

Since she/he is one i would change her feeding period to about a week but would go a day a week till you reach a week. She/he will be abit more hungry and well that might work for ya :)

I would normally be feeding a snake that size and age once a week anyway. Only my hatchlings and young snakes on pinkies are fed that often. Are you certain your snake is a she? Since you've fed so frequently, you may have pushed the breeding button early with rapid growth. If it's a male, it may be going off feed for breeding season. A little early for it, but you never know. My male routinely went off feed in Jan. That said, I have a few Okeetees that were random feeders for a long time. Now that I feed less frequently, their appetites have peaked and they attack the mice everytime.

Back