• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Renting with snakes

skittledoo

At the end of July my husband and I are going to be relocating about an hour or so from where we currently are. We currently have two dogs and two snakes.

What is the best way to go about finding a rental that will allow your snakes? My snakes are both corns and in locking tanks. I'd also like to add a third sometime in the nearish future if possible... Maybe a Central American Dwarf Boa.

Did you tell your landlord about your snakes? I can just see myself mentioning snakes and then getting doors slammed in my face, but at the same time I don't really want to have to hide them anytime a landlord comes by and I don't plan to rehome them.

Any advice about finding a rental that will allow snakes? We are going to be looking at houses not apartments since we really want something with a yard for the dogs.

My personal opinion. Be honest.
When I was looking for a rental, I sat down & wrote a long email. I explained all of the animals I have (dogs, ferrets & snakes), & I explained how I care for them, secure housing & such. I explained that for their safety, I keep them in secure enclosures, & let them know hat I have researched the local regulations & only keep animals which are allowed in the area.
My landlord thanked me for the well thought out email, & we talked on the phone for a while, as he asked more about my snakes.
I got more "no" responses, than "yes" responses, but in the end, I had a couple houses to chose from.

I've never had any issues with landlords and snakes. there was one inspection for the fire alarms and we just moved them to the master closet for the day and they never noticed them.

No one really bothers looking though, as long as you aren't shouting from the roof tops you should be fine.

Oh I misread that, I thought it was for apartments. When I was renting rooms in houses it was more difficult. you will get doors slammed in your face, but persistence will get you a place eventually. NWHEATHER has the right idea.

personally i wouldn't lie but i wouldn't tell the whole truth either. i would just ask if tank animals were ok. IMO, there shouldn't be a difference between allowing a fish tank or a snake tank.

When my boyfriend was searching for apartments he asked about snakes and nearly every place said no. One of them said that as long as the cages are escape proof snakes are fine. Even though their amenities page said that dogs and cats under 35lbs were all that were allowed.

As a landlord my opinion may be bias but ... tell the truth. If I find renters that have been deliberately deceitful I evict. If someone can't be respectful to me I see little need to be caring. I push the eviction as fast as allowed by law and keep deposits for lease violation. On the other hand if someone is upfront we can work out a refundable pet deposit and it goes much better. The way I look at it be an honest adult and get treated like an honest adult, it really is that simple.

My personal opinion. Be honest.
When I was looking for a rental, I sat down & wrote a long email. I explained all of the animals I have (dogs, ferrets & snakes), & I explained how I care for them, secure housing & such. I explained that for their safety, I keep them in secure enclosures, & let them know hat I have researched the local regulations & only keep animals which are allowed in the area.
My landlord thanked me for the well thought out email, & we talked on the phone for a while, as he asked more about my snakes.
I got more "no" responses, than "yes" responses, but in the end, I had a couple houses to chose from.
Excellent advice!

As a landlord my opinion may be bias but ... tell the truth. If I find renters that have been deliberately deceitful I evict. If someone can't be respectful to me I see little need to be caring. I push the eviction as fast as allowed by law and keep deposits for lease violation. On the other hand if someone is upfront we can work out a refundable pet deposit and it goes much better. The way I look at it be an honest adult and get treated like an honest adult, it really is that simple.

The only problem I have with your advice is that unfortunately most people are not as open minded and sensible as you. :(

If you aren't in a big hurry, and can take the time to wade through all the 'nos' looking for a 'yes,' then yeah, I'd say just be upfront and honest. That's the safer way to go, if nothing else.

The only problem I have with your advice is that unfortunately most people are not as open minded and sensible as you. :(

If you aren't in a big hurry, and can take the time to wade through all the 'nos' looking for a 'yes,' then yeah, I'd say just be upfront and honest. That's the safer way to go, if nothing else.
I understand the inconvenience but when one signs a lease that states NO pets one should live by that lease. Should my time and money as the landlord somehow be considered less important than the lessee?

just ask about tank pets if they say fish and hampsters and such are ok then a snake should b fine too they shouldnt say yes to a oscar and no to a snake then they would be discriminating to the renter and the species its not like its a allegater lol

I flat out told my landlord that I had snakes. Luckily she got excited and told me that she used to have a bull snake and that my snakes, turtles, lizards, and dog were fine. The only problem I have is with the "property manager", who is not allowed under any circumstances into my house, on grounds that he is a freaking jerk and will do whatever he can to try to get me evicted. He used to allow the kids to come look at my animals, but then his dog started waking me up in the middle of the night and I wrote him a couple of letters asking him to correct the issue. He started to threaten me, and that was the end of our "friendship". I no longer care to live next to the man, and if my wife can get her student teaching in Alamogordo, we will be moving back there.

Just be honest. One of the first things I ask a place is "I have two cats and harmless non-poisonous snakes, will that be a problem?". I usually say something relating to how they're relatively small, harmless, non venomous, etc etc.

I've only ever had one issue and one place I looked at wanted a pet deposit for every single snake, which was absurd because what damage will a snake do?

But other than that, I've never had a place that cared - especially once they saw that I didn't have giant 20ft pythons.

Last edited:
I would second the idea about asking if tank animals are allowed. I've done this, and if they want to more know about the specific type of animal or have a prejudice against one they will let you know. I've asked about tank animals and had the landlord come into the apt or house, and since they know it's a tank they don't look much further really.

Just be honest. One of the first things I ask a place is "I have two cats and harmless non-poisonous snakes, will that be a problem?". I usually say something relating to how they're relatively small, non harmless, non venomous, etc etc.

I've only ever had one issue and one place I looked at wanted a pet deposit for every single snake, which was absurd because what damage will a snake do?

But other than that, I've never had a place that cared - especially once they saw that I didn't have giant 20ft pythons.

i think you meant to leave out that non

My current place I just asked about 'pets' and they said oh yes we love animals.. end of discussion..they didn't ask and I didn't explain any more. I have a dog and a cat, I assume they think that is all I have..

Back