• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Reptile Day?

Pal-O-Mine

I was watching a snakebytes episode on the python ban and heard of "Reptile Day". Can anyone fill me in on this?

Devon

I think it's something Brian Barczyk is organizing. A nationwide reptile awareness day he's asking people to plan community outreach events for.

Brian has suggested that we use this day to educate the public where we can. I believe that education is ALWAYS a good idea. There so much bad press out there already!

I am extremely interested in doing education with my snakes anyway. I think we should organize little groups across the country of people willing to do this. I know that there is someone in my area who already does this and that there are pros and cons and I wish to avoid the cons caused by my inexperience. I just don't know these people.

Anyone in my area willing to jump in the pool??????

Devon

A good place to start meeting fellow educators would be your local PARC (Partners for Amphibian and Reptile Conservation) chapter or a local herpetology group. When we moved from FL to AL this is where we started and have met some really nice people who are fellow educators and herp enthusiasts. The link to the organization is below if you are interested - there is a link for your local chapter on the page. Hope this helps.
http://www.parcplace.org/

So, they are calling it Snake Awareness Day, and it has officially been set to take place on May 14th of this year. I have been following it and working on getting something started in my own state and community. This forum doesn't seem to have a thread other than this one regarging, so I will be starting one called "Snake Awareness Day - May 14th, 2012" in the general chit-chat forum.

Heh...I had just seen it was May 14. Our daughter's teacher had asked us if we would be willing to bring a few of our snakes in for a little talk (she asked in November, and we said it was too cold to transport them, so we'd be happy to bring them when it warmed up) I'm planning to ask her if she would allow us to bring them in for Snake Awareness Day.

I think it's a fantastic idea. My bf's in basic training right now, and he's got quite a few converts to snake-o-philes since he's been there, showing off pictures of our collection.

I think classroom snake presentations are an excellent way to educate people and raise awareness about snakes. I try to do at least one every year, and they are always a big hit. The kids get very excited, and when you are done you will most likely have every one of them liking the snakes and wanting to pet and / or hold them; even those that were nervous to begin with. I say go for it!

Back