• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Reptile groups, anyone?

Plissken

Crazy Snail Lady
Feeling like I need to get out and about a bit more and wanting to meet some likeminded folk, I have decided to join the local reptile society. They hold meetings once a month and organise trips out to places of herp interest. I'm really not too sure what to expect but it sounds fun :)

Is anyone else a member of a reptile group or club? Any interesting/funny stories or experiences to tell?

I was a member of the Scottish Exotic Animal Society for about a year. We had speakers each month on various topics of interest (I even did a talk on tarantulas) and people brought along lots of various animals to show off, buy, sell etc. Fun while it lasted I suppose...

I decided not to go back after a few people miffed me off and vice versa. I doubt I would be welcome anyway LOL

Feeling like I need to get out and about a bit more and wanting to meet some likeminded folk, I have decided to join the local reptile society. They hold meetings once a month and organise trips out to places of herp interest. I'm really not too sure what to expect but it sounds fun :)

Is anyone else a member of a reptile group or club? Any interesting/funny stories or experiences to tell?

Definitely worth joining - the internet is all well and good but there's no substitute for meeting with other reptile keepers, both experienced and newbies. I regularly go to my local club for which I'm secretary, and occasionally attend another one further afield when I get a chance.

I enjoy the fact that it's a good opportunity to see and learn about a variety of species I'll never own and in many cases wouldn't even get to see otherwise. Local groups also tend to be involved with other more national clubs and organisations, and it's an excellent opportunity to learn about and give input on issues which might affect reptile keepers.

I was a member of the Scottish Exotic Animal Society for about a year. We had speakers each month on various topics of interest (I even did a talk on tarantulas) and people brought along lots of various animals to show off, buy, sell etc. Fun while it lasted I suppose...

I decided not to go back after a few people miffed me off and vice versa. I doubt I would be welcome anyway LOL

Cool, Elle - did you take along some of your spidies? :)

Definitely worth joining - the internet is all well and good but there's no substitute for meeting with other reptile keepers, both experienced and newbies. I regularly go to my local club for which I'm secretary, and occasionally attend another one further afield when I get a chance.

I enjoy the fact that it's a good opportunity to see and learn about a variety of species I'll never own and in many cases wouldn't even get to see otherwise. Local groups also tend to be involved with other more national clubs and organisations, and it's an excellent opportunity to learn about and give input on issues which might affect reptile keepers.

This is what I was thinking... I really just want to be more involved in the hobby and maybe learn something along the way. I used to have a couple of friends in the hobby, but they have moved away and we've lost contact, so I don't really know anyone in the hobby off the internet. :shrugs:

Always worth checking out, but sometimes local herp societies aren't going to have what you're looking for.

My local herp club is kind of stagnant. The meeting are really boring, but I love the educational events they put on so I stick around for that. I have met some cool people, which is great. I've also met people who think they know more about snakes then they really do. Let us know how your's is.

I will def let you know how it goes. What I'm most interested in is really the social side of it.

Anyone know of a good reptile group in or around San Antonio, Tx? Internet searches have been futile.

I belong to the local Herp Society, but not too many people there own corns so I always kind of feel awkward. One of the board members breeds gophers/pines/bulls though, and I've thought of getting one from him. There is one corn breeder, but he's a bit...behind. He thinks that lavenders are high-end morphs. Its ok I guess.

Our local herp club seems to be more interested in wild herps, as opposed to captive ones. I wish there was a club like Tula's around here... that would be mad fun!

Back