• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Reptiles and Pregnant Women?

amanda007

Read, read, read!
We have only had our cornsnake for 2 or 3 months now, and I just recently found out I'm expecting our first baby. Unfortunately, I also just read an article about the dangers of pregnant women and small children with reptiles in the home. I always knew that reptiles sometimes carried salmonella, but I am always sure to wash my hands thoroughly after handling her. But if it's going to be a danger to the baby....should I just sell her?

There are lots of people here with kids and babies. As long as you practice good hygiene, you should be fine. That, and don't let the kid put the snake in its mouth. ;) Congrats on the pregnancy!

First off, congratulations!
Secondly, there's several mothers on this site who I am sure will be able to answer your question better than I. But as far as I know, there is very little risk of contracting salmonella from reptiles, especially if you're practicing good handwashing after handling, cleaning, etc.

Well that's comforting! I just got so freaked out for a minute there. I really dont' want to sell her, she is just so beautiful and exceptionally healthy. She is the BEST eater I have ever seen, she gulps down those pinkies in less than a minute every time!

Hand washing, hand washing, hand washing!

You'll be fine if you do it after every time you handle the snake. It will be a while before you will have to worry about your baby touching the snake, so don't worry about that for at least 2 years! (I wouldn't let a baby touch a snake for fear it would squish the snake so I figure you have until your child is old enough not to squish. LOL)

As for specific regarding your pregnancy, it has been my understanding that there are times that are more sensitive than others during your pregnancy, for example the first 4 or so months are really focused on developing the babies systems so contracting something during those times is more risky in terms of developmental effects, vs later on in the pregnancy when a lot of the systems have developed at least somewhat and the baby shifts more into growth/weight gain mode. A lot of pregnancy books go into this in detail of what develops when and what would be considered more risky during those specific times of development. I would say get a good book a look into it because my 'baby' is almost 5 so my memory is somewhat fading concerning the specifics.

I would think that if you wash your hands and that sort of thing you should be fine. If you where really concerned you could consider wearing gloves to handle the snake or while cleaning its cage, just while you are pregnant. But even if you do wear gloves wash you hands/arms afterwards. Or if someone else can help with cage cleaning while you are pregnant that might help. My husband had litter box duty when I was pregnant, I considered it to be an even trade because I was so queasy all the time so it was sort of like his penance LOL. My advice as a 2 time mom would be to read a lot about your pregnancy, but to take all the scary things with lots of grains of salt. Being healthy, informed, and careful is important, but there is also a lot of hype and hysterics in the parenting world. It is really hard sometimes to tune out some of it especially with your first baby (I was a worrier for sure and am totally guilty of falling for a lot of it), but it is the sort of thing you learn to recognize with time.

Oh and congratulations and non queasy wishes!!

Congrats!

Just dont let the baby chew on the snake,they dont like being chewed on!...:grin01:

Congrats, Amanda!!! Whoo hoo for you!

I know there were a couple of folks who had babies last year who also had snakes in the house, so I don't think it should be any problem if you practice good hygiene.

What great news for you during this holiday season!

_Way_greater chance of salmonella from poultry, or a dirty kitchen drain trap. Congratulations and Best Washes!

Congrats Amanda...what a great thing to find out!!!!

Hopefully this will help to easy your mind, I run a daycare and the youngest one I have had since she was 2 months old. Now granted she did not touch the snakes then, but I did. I just practiced good hand washing up to my mid for arm or elbow and although I was constantly having to handle her and handling snakes in between(as I use my snakes to teach with at the daycare) she has never been sick from them, nor have any of the other children. All of the children here(past and present that would be approx 15) have held and touched the snakes with supervision and then washed up well afterward, not one of them has gotten ill.

_Way_greater chance of salmonella from poultry, or a dirty kitchen drain trap. Congratulations and Best Washes!

I think that is a great point. I was actually thinking about this very same thing in relation to this thread last night. I was making chicken and then later I was cracking eggs for a cake. Anyways while I was cooking, I thought I did all of these things while I was pregnant and while I ALWAYS advocate good kitchen hygiene whether you are pregnant or not, nobody suggested to me that I should stop preparing chicken or eggs while I was pregnant. So with the same basic precautions snake keeping should also be fine.

I think the big deal with salmonella came from kids putting turtles in their mouths and iguanas walking in their feces and then scratching you with their claws. I think the advice you have been give is all good.

One thing that has not been mentioned is frogs and toads. If you handle toads while you are pregnant, your child will get warts.

Back