• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Respiratory infection?

Feral

Ugh, k...so this guy at work has some snakes too and we were talking about it before he left and he has a ball python that has some respiratory problems. He says it's an infection (probably from not taking care of it correctly would be my bet), but doesn't want to spend the money to go see a vet. v.v

He said if I can take care of it I can have it, but I know nothing about respiratory problems in snakes. Can they recover if taken care of fast enough? At the moment, he says he's just wheezing, no bubbles or gunk. Would it be something I'd have to deal with for the life of the snake, or is it just like a cold or something?
And then quarantine, I assume something like this could be contagious. Would it be enough if I keep the snake in a different room and make sure no contact is given between my other two snakes (meaning washing my hands after touching or doing anything with his tank, and cleaning his tank tons after the infection is over with).

It just burns my bones that he's not doing anything about it. He's just all "meh." It drives me nuts.

All right...I'm just going to go ahead and take him. Have a vet set up and everything to take him straight to after I pick him up tomorrow so...hopefully won't stress him out too badly and I can shove questions down their throat. At least going to try everything I can to help. Already have a tub set up for him with fresh everything and working on getting the heat up right.
Any tips on how to do this without overly stressing him out?

Your vet will probably prescribe Baytril, it's pretty darn easy to clear up with proper conditions. My bet is he kept it too cool and humid. What's your experience level? I would suggest keeping it quarantined away from your others, less b/c of them catching a URI than other pathogens. Good luck and keep us updated!

I am. I've got his new tank set up in our extra room, and the corns are alllll the way on the other side of the house. If that isn't separated not sure what is.
How long should I keep him quarantined, btw? Is there anything needed to do during quarantine other then separating and keeping myself clean after contact?

As far as pythons are concerned, very little experience. Just corns and kings, but I'm sure I can probably do better then him. I'm reading some stuff right now to make sure I have everything.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, that is one lucky BP!

Back