• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Respiratory Risk?

WolfKin

Hey Guys! As a few of you know, I built a huge tank for my anery boy, D'Argento. For decor, I hacked down a small tree, 2.5 inches at the thickest, and got 5 uprights for climbing out of it. I did wrap them in foil, and give'em a good baking, for an hour at 200*F. Over a week later, they still smell like baked wood. Is this the kind of thing that would harm a corn's respiratory system? I'm anxious to get him in the new tank, but not at the cost of his health. Any thoughts?

I personally have never baked something to get rid of all the bacteria, only soaked in 10% bleech and 90% water. But if the tree you put in is emitting some dust, or bits and pieces of the tree, when the snakes rubs up against it, that might cause some URI (upper respiratory infection) because that might get in its nose. I dont know how baked wood smelles like, so im gonna let someone with more experience tell you more about that.

What kind of wood is it? Unless it is something aromatic, like pine, I wouldn't worry about it. I think a hard or soft wood, like oak, aspen, maple, birch, ash, apple, anything like that, should be fine. I wouldn't use anything like fir, spruce, pine, cedar, redwood, any of those.

Thanks again, Nanci! I just checked with my neighbor, and he said it's some kind of hardwood. I also gave the tank a sniff, and the smell is fading away. My baby boy gets his new home tonight! Have a good one!!

Back