• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Retic Genetics

Galadriel

I was sitting down at work this morning, reading up on genetics, when my boss walked by.
He saw what I was reading, and thought he`d test my skills a little..
I´ve been trying to figure it out for a while now, but my brain certainly doesn´t seem to want to work with me! :dunce:
So I figured I´d see if any of you guys could help me out a little bit, as I´m very new to this whole color/pattern genetics thing..

The question he asked me was; If I breed a Supertiger het. albino to an albino, what will I get? (Let´s pretend there were 16 eggs)

This may not be too complicated, but i still don´t get it... :shrugs:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

In order to understand it, you have to break it down into the individual traits and the genes controlling them, and then follow the genes as they are passed from mother and father to the new offspring:

-----

At the Tiger locus there is normal and tiger, + and T.
Tiger is codominant with normal. Because of this:
++ = Normal
+T = Tiger pattern (het normal)
TT = "Super Tiger" pattern (or homozygous Tiger)

At the Albino locus there is normal and albino, + and a.
Albino is recessive to normal. Because of this:
++ = Normal
+a = Normal het albino
aa = albino

-----

So the parents are:
TT +a = Supertiger het albino
++ aa = Albino

Each parent contributes only ONE of its pair to a given offspring.

-----

So you are crossing:
On the tiger locus: TT x ++
As you can see, the TT parent contributes one T, the ++ parent contributes one +. All the offspring will be "+T" which is Tiger patterned.

On the albino locus: +a X aa
As you can see, the one parent will always send an "a" but the other parent can send "a" or "+" so you end up with two possible results: "aa" or "+a" which are equally likely.

-----

When combining these results you get:
50% (+T +a) normal tigers het albino.
50% (+T aa) albino tigers.

(This is NOT how they are teaching it on whatever website you are reading, I'm sure... these are not Punnett squares, it's just a different way to get the same answer.)

i am not sure about the super tiger thing cus i really dont get super and ultras but i tihnk all would be het albino anh 50 percent would be albino

Back