• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

reticulated python question

metallica fish

this sounds really stupid. cos i know reticulated pythons dont get 33.5ft.

how much would a 33.5ft reticulated python eat?
size and how often?

will tell you more about this weird question later

Well the biggest recorded was a yellow head jampea retice at 32.5 foot I belive. You would feed them a small goat

The largest reticulated python ever found in the wild was reported in 1912 from the island of Celebes (now known as Sulawesi) in Indonesia. This snake measured thirty-three feet.

Right out of the text. But it was from the wild and not born in captivity.

sorry i missed that

long story short. this guy on our street says he sold his mate his RP and its 33.5ft long and eats a lamb and 8 chickens a week. (this fellas nick name is bull sh*t bruce)

hes quite known for been a liar.

They claim this one is 49 feet...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/dec/30/indonesia.johnaglionby

I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing...so if it's wrong "my bad" ;)
Absolutely no evidence. I'll believe that when I measure it myself. Edit, that was six years ago. It would've been verified a LONG time ago...

I'm sure the largest retic, or anaconda or corn for that matter, was never caught and measured! Most folks with big pythons (not talkin' about my arms, here!), feed multiple BIG rabbits. I have heard of young goats, pigs etc. being used, but don't know anyone personally who has done that, and pigs are very fatty. Cost-wise, any captive born larger mammal as a food source adds up FAST! I suppose the best math you could do is estimate the weight of the giant snake and figure 5-15% of that as weekly diet for an adult who isn't growing (much) and isn't expending breeding or activity calories. And probably closer to 5%.

They claim its 49 ft, but they have no pics or any proof. That would be amazing though! :grin01:

That particular snake turned out to be only 29 feet.

Most people I know that keep retics have them on feeder pigs either every 2 - 3 weeks because of the high fat content. Rabbits are just too small for the bigguns. You'd have to feed at least 4-5 to keep them happy, and 1 decent size pig would do just fine. Retics also stay more slender than a burm or 'conda, which means it's easier to find an appropriately sized prey item. A 30+ foot anaconda would most likely be eating something easily the size of a goat or larger, whereas a 30ft retic would be more happy with a pig.

Back