• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Revamping my corn's home

travisurfer

Well, I have had my cornsnake, Snakers(don't ask), for about 5 years now. He came from the wild, from a local beach, thanks to one of my friends. He is about 6.5 years old at around 3.5 feet. I'll admit, I was trying to sell him to make some extra time for my aquarium but I couldnt find a good home so he is going to stay with me. Please flame away, I deserve it. :flames: Anyway I would like to make his home better for him and better to look at. Here is the tank:
cage.jpg

20l Terrarium
Pine Bedding
Heater
Water Dish
Cave
Tape on Background
Antler for Climbing
Here is my little buddy:
snakers.jpg

Ok, so what would you suggest I do to make his tank even better? I was thinking about painting the background black, possibly switching to sand(though I think they prefer pine bedding), a larger water area(maybe a siliconed in lagoon area), and more climbing area. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Loads of bad post on here about pine and sand, better with aspen or coconut bark (aspen cheaper).
Maybe try out some jungle vine type stuff for the climbing area.

Great snake, love the antlers, but pine isn't good :) Aspens a great substrate if you can find any.

At least I wasnt using cedar. Ok, so aspen or coconut bark, possibly some jungle vine, and larger water dish. what about painting the background black? Its hard to get pics of him climbing on his antler because he doesnt like to be that exposed when people are around. Kind of like this. :sidestep:

Good idea, if you paint the back and sides it might make him feel less exposed......then the antler pic!

Ok, any tips on painting the tank? Is there a way to do it while he is still in the terrarium? And is the astroturf for reptiles any good? He seems to like to hide in the bedding.

Hiding in the bedding is normal, all snakes do that :) Astroturf is seen in teh eyes of many as a bacteria breeding ground. And I would make sure the paint is not toxic etc, and definatly move him/her out whilst doing it, and for several hours afterwards while the fumes dissapate.

By painting, I meant on the outside. I know its normal for him to hide in the bedding. So aspen or coconut bark it is. BTW, he's a he. :)

I've always used ordinary emulsion type water based paint on the outside of tanks, because you can take it off easily to change the background. Definately use the reduced - fume stuff (can't remember technical term :rolleyes:) but have the snake in a big tub for the day just in case it's going to be affected. Then MAKE HIM DO THE ANTLER POSE! (Can you tell I'm keen to see it? :grin01: )

diamondlil said:
I've always used ordinary emulsion type water based paint on the outside of tanks, because you can take it off easily to change the background. Definately use the reduced - fume stuff (can't remember technical term :rolleyes:) but have the snake in a big tub for the day just in case it's going to be affected. Then MAKE HIM DO THE ANTLER POSE! (Can you tell I'm keen to see it? :grin01: )
It that like the paint you use in school or what?

Painting tank

I've always used spray paint on the back of the tank. Take it outside and let it sit the rest of the day. I live in AZ so it drys FAST! I've used black, but you might want to consider a dark green. The black seems to slow them down for some reason. I also get $3 silk plants from WalMart to make the tanks look nice. Here's an example.
I also have switched to 29 tall tanks, because my corns do like to climb the branches.
Beth

Attachments

• Scan10040.JPG
    Scan10040.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 67
Don't bother with the astroturf.

Just switch the bedding to aspen. You've said yourself he likes to burrow into the bedding so why would you want to switch him to something where he can't do that? :shrugs:

And for painting it, even if it's the exterior you paint, you'll have to remove the snake until the paint is fully dry and ALL trace of fumes are gone.

Although, personally, I think the background stuff looks better. I'd just put that round three sides.

background ideas

Another idea is to go to Home Depot, in the painting department, and pick up a roll of green or brown paper for the background. With as many tanks as I have this is really handy to have on hand! Or you can go to WalMart, one of my favorite places!, and in the office supplies pick up a roll of cork sheeting. It makes a more natural looking background.
They really like the fake plants. In their natural environment they are often in plants and trees. Just makes for a happier animal!
Be creative!
Beth

Attachments

• Mokeetee.JPG
    Mokeetee.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 50
Diamondlil...

Thank you! She is a gorgeous Okeetee! Will be ready to breed next year, and I'm trying to find the perfect male for her! I have one you can barely see in the post above, in the tank with the black background. But he isn't nearly as nice as she is!
Here's another look:

Attachments

• Scan10049.JPG
    Scan10049.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 48
Back