• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Reverse Okeetee (1year 1mth plus old)

thats like a twin to my snake!! nearly same age too!!! great looker you have there.. and i dont think his tank is too small there just lazy lol, mine sleeps 90% of the time, and when hes not sleeping he's eating or fighting his reflection!

Question: Have you had him all his life?

Suggestion to cornsnakes.com admin, Allow us to edit our posts lol, thease 3 posts could be one, unless you like to have a high post count on the forums in that case ur smart :p

Jdizzyfizzy said:
Question: Have you had him all his life?

Suggestion to cornsnakes.com admin, Allow us to edit our posts lol, thease 3 posts could be one, unless you like to have a high post count on the forums in that case ur smart :p

I believe that you can only edit your posts if you're a contributing member. :)

Lisa

Silt said:
I believe that you can only edit your posts if you're a contributing member. :)

Lisa

Yes, Contributing Members can Edit their posts.

Last edited:
I have to take a picture of Maizey in her hide- you wouldn't believe what she can pack into. She spends a _lot_ of time out, either hanging on her branch or just laying on the aspen. That way she is sure to not miss any opportunities to come out.

Nanci

Jdizzyfizzy: i wont say all his life. Maybe he lived about 1-mth at the petshop before i found him.

he's living in a 3-feet by 1.5-feet tank. look at the attachment. his hide/home is that big.. if that's a perfect size? cause he dont stay in-there much often. he either stays on top of his home, at the side, and today i found him squeezing under his waterdish.

below close-up pics are pics of him, i took today.

Attachments

• smygle261206-0804.JPG
    smygle261206-0804.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 128
  • smygle281206-0805.JPG
    smygle281206-0805.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 129
  • smygle281206-0806.JPG
    smygle281206-0806.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 128
  • smygle281206-0807.JPG
    smygle281206-0807.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 127
  • smygle281206-0808.JPG
    smygle281206-0808.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 127
Instead of having one huge hide one one side of the tank break it up to two small hides. Snakes like to hide in small places, they feel more secure. If you can find a plastic water dish thats hollow get it and cut a slit in the side somewhere. I have hides like this for my snakes and they love them.
How are you heating your tank?
If you're heating half the tank and the hide is over the warm side then it might be getting too hot in there. That could be a reason your snake always comes out.

One idea... looks like you have a lot of space in your tank for a piece of wood. If you put a stable tree branch in there and cover part of it with a fake or real plant I think your snake will love hanging out up there.

GiantBlueberry : you got any pics of your warm/cool home? im thinking now that his home does look huge!! and what would be a minimum recommended dimension for the home, my RO is about 4-feet. and what would be the preferable shape? square, rectangle, oval or circle?

i only heat-up half the tank using a reading lamp with a 60w filament bulb control with a dimmer set at 25% output. which give a temperature reading in the warm home a nice cozy 28C. the cool side is around 26C. which is not much of a different.

i just cover the inside of that hugh home with aluminium foil to make i really really dark inside. i was cleaning the home & place it on the table, then i look inside thru the inlet hole & light can pass thru it which is indeed a little to bright for a snake point of view.

I've learned that with both of my critters, that they feel the safest when they can touch the sides of the homes with their bodies. If they can feel their surroundings, they're more comfortable. So I would agree that your home for him is way to large. If you go to your local petshop, they have some good little hides you can get for him. I recently had to upgrade my largest's hide to a bigger size, so my smaller one got his old home. The hide was about $11, and he seems to enjoy it, so I recomend spending a little bit of cash on a good hide-out for him. There are a ton of options, too. If you go into the reptile section of your local pet store, you'll usually find logs, and caves, and all kinds of good stuff. If you go into the hamster, gerbil section, they usually have some fun, colorful hides that will work, too! I got my smallest one a pink castle looking hide, and he loves it.

i feel a bit jealous of you guys as you have reptile section of your lps. as i dont got those over here, you only see small fish stores with a small hamster/rabbit section at the back. for my country population of about 400,000+ people, i only know a couple of ppl here in my country, who got a snake, one of them, a she got her kingsnake all the way from UK, which is a nightmare to bring in with all the papers involved. i got my corn from a neighbouring country which i kinda smuggle it in. :shrugs: a corn is not an endangered species, right? but i dont think the immigration would think of it that way. thats why you see the such big home for mr.smygle as i got to improvise on things, that you guys have for your beloved snakes. :)

ps. the aluminium cover seems to do the trick now. i rarely see him out of his hide now days (3-days now). i think the semi-transparent home with the heater-light on, on it home wasnt comfortable for him. now, his home is totally dark & cozy exception for the light coming from the opening.

happy new year everyone..

Back