• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

reverse okeetee

Yes, it is an Amel that has selective characteristics like wide, white borders.

Pretty distinctive eh?

The breeder I got my snakey from said he was a reverse okeetee, but he's definitely a creamsicle. Not an easy mistake to make I would've thought :\

Attachments

• reverseokeetee.jpg
    reverseokeetee.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 140
I'm never going to understand all the differences. some snakes seem to fall into so many possibles, to my untrained eye

The breeder I got my snakey from said he was a reverse okeetee, but he's definitely a creamsicle.

Tracee,

Why do you think that it is a cream and not a reverse okeetee?

if i breed a reverse okeetee with a anerytristic, the babys will be normal het for snow yes???

will they look normal or mite they have an okeetee pattern and if i was then to breed the young would they produce snows or snows with an okeetee pattern?

SNAKESRCOOL said:
if i breed a reverse okeetee with a anerytristic, the babys will be normal het for snow yes???

will they look normal or mite they have an okeetee pattern and if i was then to breed the young would they produce snows or snows with an okeetee pattern?

Yes...you will get normals het snow unless one or both of the parents are het for the trait that the other parent is displaying. It is possible that some of the babies will look somewhat like okeetees. It is also possible that some of the snows from breeding the young would have an okeetee look, as well.

Clint Boyer said:
Those saddles are too red to be a Creamsicle.
Definately a Reverse Okeetee.
Yes it is, I posted a picture of a reverse okeetee for SNAKESRCOOL.

Tracee,

Why do you think that it is a cream and not a reverse okeetee?
CAV, I have seen many pics of reverse okeetees like the one I earlier attached, and my snakey is definitely not a one of those whatever the breeder says! He has no white borders that are so apparent on ROs and his patterns are exactly like those of a creamsicle. It did confuzzle me for a while though.

Not to take this onto a tangent or anything, but aren't creamsicles part rat & mostly corn?

Are there any other morphs that are a hybrid species?

Sorry Clint I did jump from saying one thing to another didn't i! This is my boy..
Clearly not a Reverse Okeetee!!

P.S. I thought rat snakes were corns?? :eek:

Attachments

• untitled6.jpg
    untitled6.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 82
All corns are rat snakes, but not all rat snakes are corns.

Creamsicles are an amelanistic hybrid cross between the Great Plains Rat snake (Pantherophis emoryi) and the cornsnake (Pantherophis guttata); any percentage of the two species mixed is irrelevant to the question. An amel that 99% corn and 1% emoryi, really ought to still be called a Creamsicle, as would an animal that was 99% emory and only 1% corn.

Yes, there are other hybrid "corns" out there, but they are all in the creamsicle "family." That is, they are the non-amelanistic crosses between emoryi and cornsnakes. Rootbeer corns are what many call the normally colored crosses, and I have seen hypo crosses referred to as Creamsoda corns. I am certain there are others.

As for the animal in the latest picture shown by Tracee, unless you have specific reason to believe that there is emoryi blood in its background, I can't say that I see any emoryi influence at all. The saddles are not the typical emoryi shape, and the coloration is still too red to be what I would expect from a creamsicle. It is definitely not what most people think of when they consider a reverse okeetee in their minds' eye, but I see no emoryi influence there.

How very confuzzling! :confused: So the breeder could have been right and he is a reverse okeetee, just without the typical characteristics..?
(On deciding he didn't look at all like a reverse okeetee, I set about finding out what he was, as ya do. Bought a few books to compare pictures, and creamsicles looked like a perfect match to me. Though I'm starting to doubt that now!! And I presumed that if corns were rats, rats were also corns.)
:dunce:

Don't get me wrong, it may very well be a creamsicle. If the colors are not showing up truly on my monitor, then my impression could be entirely wrong-headed. But, if the animal is as red as he looks to me, and you have no overt evidence that makes you suspect emoryi blood to be present, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

The animal is not reverse okeetee (I hate that name!), as they are commonly defined, but that is not bad at all, because if he has as little white as he appears to have, he may well be better identified as a Sunglow. They're all just names of description, anyway. Reverse okeetees, sunglows, and candy canes are all just amels for the most part anyway, and the variations present are either the result of line breeding or pure happenstance.

As to the rats are corns/corns are rats thing, let me put it this way. All dogs are mamals, but not all mamals are dogs, right? "Rats" is a generic name that is applied to Pantherophis: guttata, obsoleta, emoryi, quadrivatta, and who knows how many other species of snake in North America. Not to mention all of the Old World Rats that are still listed in the Elaphe classification.

Hope that helps a bit to clarify what I was trying to say before...

;)

leia,

There are also other corn hybrids. Jungle corns are cal king X corn snake hybrids. There are even more, as well. I think that the emoryi X gutatta crosses cause the most confusion, though. It can be quite hard to visually tell if a snake has emoryi blood in it.

You're right, of course. I almost included jungle corns (and all of the other "mixes" possible), but I didn't, because I haven't seen anyone trying to pass those hybrids off as cornsnakes to anyone.

In that regard, I think the emoryi crosses stand alone and pose the biggest "threat" to those who are trying not to introduce "foreign" blood into their cornsnake breedings. I could be wrong, however.

Back