• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

rheostat and temp question

2manyfishtanks

my 40 gallon tank is 91 on the heated side (under tank heater rated for 30-40gallon tank from zoo med) and the cool side is 68ish using dial thermometers, my question is would a zoomeds rheostat get the hot side down to say 85 and does anyone have suggestions on making the other side a tad warmer

You can probably get by with 68 on the cool side if it doesn't get much cooler than that. Moving the UTH slightly towards the cool end might get you a degree or two. Raising the ambient temp of the room would probably be the most effective way of raising the cool end a few degrees.

I don't know about the "zoomed" rheostat, but I suspect that just about any rheostat should enable you to control your UTH in order to bring the temp down a bit. Even DIY rheostats work quite well. My rheostats have always done a fairly good job. Just keep in mind that rheostats don't give as much control as a thermostat. So if you set a rheo at one spot, it isn't going to hold the temperature right there no matter what.

thanks I got a rheostat today and im gunna play with that to see if I can get the temp down, thanks for the info about the cooler side I think im going to run with that. Should I be taking the temp from the top of the substrate or the bare glass above the heater?

Bare glass above the heater...

Most people, myself included, suggest to take the temp under the substrate on the glass (directly over the UTH). That way you know that if your snake burrows, the glass won't be hot enough to hurt it.

Back