• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Righty, straight to business :P

Dori Edd

Only my second post on here, so apolgies for immediately occupying your time!

Got my corn snake a month and a half ago, hes feeding very well (though every time he goes for a pinky i can never see how he can possibly get it all in, proved me wrong thus far though), and seems to enjoy his habitat, which is, for the time being, a fairly small starter kit thing i got with the snake, (about 45-50cm by 30cm) and a heat mat, a decent cardboard (i think) based substrate, water bowl blah blah, two hides and all that. He seems to enjoy climbing all over this log i got as well. Hes also shed once, which was pretty much perfect.

Only thing is, hes absolute scared witless of me. I was told to handle him for around 15 minutes every few days. When hes actually in my hands, he seems to have no beef with crawling (if such a word is a applicable) around my hands, arms and everywhere in general. When i go to actually get him out of the vivarum though, hell do absolutely everything within his power to avoid me, and, though i always do it as gently as i can, i always feel like a bit of a bastard for doing so against his will. Am i just being paranoid in seeing no chance of this getting much better, or will he evetually come to trust that my hand isnt going to eat him with time?

Many thanks :D

-Edd

This is normal :D Your big & scary & might as well eat him! They do get used to you. I usually remove hides, let him smell me for a second, then grab him :D

It's hard being a creature with the brain the size of 1/2 a dried pea :D

:D:D

Thanks very much :thumbs:

Incidentally, is it ok to just pick them up, regardless of position?
I try and get underneath him in the middle as best i can, but its not easy when hes climbing up the sides and in general going crazy. :crazy02:

I try to stay toward the middle of the snake away from head & tail, but yeah, I'm sure it's fine.

I have hatchlings on paper towels because it's easier to clean (for me) So I can't do the under the snake scoop :D

Yeah, god, Travis HATES if i accidently touch his tail! lol
haha The other day for the first time I held my hand in there for a sec letting him sniff and get used to it and he actually climbed onto my hand! I was amazed! I had only had him just over a week, I then carefully lifted him out when it was like he was thinking "Okay he fell for it, 3.. 2...1... GO!" And threw himself forwards out of the viv, he wasn't fast enough and landed on my hand again, Bless him :p But I KNEW it was too good to be true!

lol They think they are just so smart don't they?
:-offtopic
One of my banded's has a belly like your snake in your avatar :D

Back