• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rosy boa no water

Lewis25

Ive read and been told not to put a water dish in a rosy boas tank/cage ? How do you give them a drink ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woah... that's scary! Sorry, I had never heard that one before. I didn't mean to sound rude, I was just really surprised!

I don't get it, either! Sure, they're arid, but every animal needs water to function. Keeping a small water dish available isn't going to make humidity skyrocket in a proper enclosure.

I have a theory about people who speculate that rosies will drink too much and regurg after feeding. These people seem ti be the same ones that only put a dish in once a week. Dehydrated animal will drink all it can when it can.. Thus, if it's right after a meal, regurge! I keep a small water dish available for my rosy at all times. I never have had issues with shedding, regurge, RI, or dehydration.

I didn't put water in with my dragon or uro. But they are eating leafy green vegetables daily!

I have heard to give rosies smaller water bowls, but never no water.

I have a regular-sized bowl for Noah, because I'm afraid if there is an AC failure, or a rack overheating, a large water bowl may mean the difference between life and death.

I have a theory about people who speculate that rosies will drink too much and regurg after feeding. These people seem ti be the same ones that only put a dish in once a week. Dehydrated animal will drink all it can when it can.. Thus, if it's right after a meal, regurge! I keep a small water dish available for my rosy at all times. I never have had issues with shedding, regurge, RI, or dehydration.

Agreed, good theroy

I never heard to "Never put water" in with Rosys, what I read on may caresheets and or articles was to not put water in with them the day they eat because if they drink too much water it could encourage a regurge, this is what I read

Beardies and Uros are another curiosity. Uros, especially. But at least they eat greens, which provide quite a bit of moisture as well.

Beardies... They can be soaked. My adults never did touch water dishes when provided with them, so I just didn't provide them.

But Uros... Everything I've heard about them says they shouldn't be given water dishes and can't be soaked regularly? Could be mistaken on that, of course. Even though I'm sure there's reason and proof for it, I can't wrap my head around an animal that can't be provided liquid water. :/

Ever since learning how backwards care sheets are on young Sulcata and Leopard tortoise hydration needs (most care sheets order little/no water/humidity, but they actually need a ton of it), I can't help but question stuff like that... Within reason, of course. Ha.

True- my dragon would drink running water out of my hand cupped under the faucet, and she soaked regularly in the tub.

I've never provided my beardies with standing water. They get misted greens every second day and they've been thriving for years. I don't know about rosy boas, but I know for a fact that many sand boa breeders only provide water a few days a week (including a close friend of mine). I provide a very small and shallow dish for my sand boas.

Back