• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rough hides?

Talane

I am getting a viv ready for my first corn coming soon, and I found these neat little hides (made for fish) that look like round, hollow rocks. They're nice and squat so I can use them in his travel viv as well.
One thing that I'm wondering about though is if the roughness will bother him at all. They seem to be made out of sand that is either fused or held together with some sort of resin. The edges are rough, but not horribly jagged or sharp like they would cut him. I just don't want them to be so uncomfortable that he won't use them, or that they start scratching his scales or something.
I might just have to wait and see if he will use them. If he doesn't like them, I'll make him a makeshift tupperware hide until I can find him a nice fancy one that is more comfortable for him.
I was thinking though that he might like these at least when he needs to shed, after seeing all those baby corn sheds on the lava rocks outside. They all made a bee-line for the rock bed for the same reason it seems. Even a couple that apparently emerged later went straight for it.

Those would be Chicilid hides.
I thought about buying some for my corn because I thought it was neat how they were stackable. I was gonna hot glue them together so they wouldn't fall over. But they did feel very rough and I was worried about the same thing, so I ended up not buying them at all. So I would be curious to know the answer as well.

Those would be Chicilid hides.
I thought about buying some for my corn because I thought it was neat how they were stackable. I was gonna hot glue them together so they wouldn't fall over. But they did feel very rough and I was worried about the same thing, so I ended up not buying them at all. So I would be curious to know the answer as well.

That's EXACTLY what they are haha. I will try them out on Tuesday when my corn gets in and let you know, especially if no one else has any info on them. I might put one tupperware and one "stone" in to see which one he prefers...

I tend to buy fish decor for my snakes lots, as they are much cheaper and more entertaining :) much more selection! The one thing I do as soon as I get them, is soak them to soften them, and then use sand paper to smooth everything out.

It can take some time, but usually no more than 10 minutes a piece. DEFINITELY worth it for the money I've saved from buying "reptile" decor. However, this may not work for stone pieces as such.

That sounds like it might help! But should I use a smaller grit that the grains that make up the hide? I feel like too big of a grit would make the individual grains just come off instead of grind down which of course wouldn't help. I'd might as well just be rubbing them together at that point haha

In my opinion, and that's all this is, I wouldn't worry about it. I could see concern for a large sharp object, like a nail, thorn, etc., but for something that is just generally rough or sandpaper texture, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. The only concern later would be how to clean and disinfect the piece when the time came. Snakes run all over sand / bark / gravel / ground litter all the time with no ill effects.

In my opinion, and that's all this is, I wouldn't worry about it. I could see concern for a large sharp object, like a nail, thorn, etc., but for something that is just generally rough or sandpaper texture, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. The only concern later would be how to clean and disinfect the piece when the time came. Snakes run all over sand / bark / gravel / ground litter all the time with no ill effects.

Alright good. As far as disinfecting goes, I'll probably just boil them a few rounds in water and bleach water every two weeks, they seem like they'll stand up to it. I guess that means non-jagged rocks are okay as well, of course after cleaning and sterilization.

Back