• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Royals digestion ?

pipi5xtra

I assist fed my baby royals on monday, as they had not eaten for a month and 6 days later they still have not pooped. They're hot end is 87F, only using a heat mat and stat. Is this normal? They are due to be fed again tomorrow and i am thinking of leaving them until they poop. They have no lumps in their bodies anywhere. My corns always poop within 2 - 3 days after eating. Looked in the ball python manual, but it only mentions feeding problems. Please help, these are my first royals and are proving to be difficult where feeding is concerned. I assist fed as this is what i was advised to do by my reptile store.

My BPs only poo once every 3-4 weeks...They "save" it for one giant present it seems...

I also keep my BPs at 92 degrees on the warm side, you may want to consider upping the temps...Perhaps they will be more willing to feed. I would not put the snake through another round of "assist" feeding for another 4 weeks. Offer him a live meal.

Your reptile store also should not be giving the advice to "assist" feed to someone inexperienced. Were these perhaps the same people who sold you the non-feeding snake in the first place?

My girl has been known to go AGES! Almost 2 month..
She does not get impacted, because she still urates, but she just takes every tiny bit of goodness from the mice I feed her, and she gets fed well too!

I assist fed my baby royals on monday, as they had not eaten for a month and 6 days later they still have not pooped. They're hot end is 87F, only using a heat mat and stat. Is this normal? They are due to be fed again tomorrow and i am thinking of leaving them until they poop. They have no lumps in their bodies anywhere. My corns always poop within 2 - 3 days after eating. Looked in the ball python manual, but it only mentions feeding problems. Please help, these are my first royals and are proving to be difficult where feeding is concerned. I assist fed as this is what i was advised to do by my reptile store.

Assit feed a Python after a month? OMG.. ive had corns live 2 months out of egg while refusing to eat, only to accept food.. 2 months for a tiny little corn.. A ball im sure could last even longer... you probably just stressed them out even more so they wont eat on there own at all.. royals are really finicky.. just leave them be..

Both snakes were feeding on f/t fuzzies and i saw them eat before i purchased as the store will not sell royals unless they are feeding. I assumed they were not eating due to change in enviroment. Ronnie is 75 gms and reggie is 65 gms. Am not planning on assist feeding again,but once the pinkie was in the mouth, they started swallowing straight away. I have tried scenting the room and pre scenting the f/t mice with gerbils. None of this worked, so i was advised to do this by the head of the reptile department. He owns burmese and blood pythons and has owned royals in the past. i thought he was giving me the right advice, as he is very experienced with all types of snakes. Has anyone got any advice on feeding other than trying live, as i am trying to avoid this if possible.

Sadly, live feeding is your best bet. BPs are rarely consistent feeders on f/t or f/k. I have 12 here and only 4 will accept (inconsistently) f/t or f/k at all. African Soft Furs are also an option that some have had success with.

When you said "pinky" I assume you were referring to rat pinky? A hatchling BP will accept mouse hoppers or rat pinks easily...Smaller or larger items then that, it wouldn't be unusual for them to completely ignore it.

I was told to give them mouse fuzzies will change to rat pinks asap. Thought it was a bit small for them. My corns that are on fuzzies are nowhere near as chunky as my royals. Am thinking of breeding my gerbils to offer as live food in the future. How big should these be?

I couldn't answer that as Gerbils are not a feeder option for me (they're expensive and have small litters).

Out of curiosity, did this reptile shop tell you to "assist" feed before trying live feedings or the other multitudes of options that should be tried BEFORE forcing them?

Slower metabolism---> slower defecation cycles.
As for Gerbils... I would say no. BP's are problematic feeders and can easily "get stuck" on one rodent over another, and then convincing them to eat something else can be insanely difficult and even downright impossible.
I don't think it's a good solution

They did not mention live feeding, even though he has fed live to a green burmese he owns. Have no idea where to get live from, as it is frowned upon in the uk. Looks like i will have to breed my own mice then. There is a debate as to whether it is legal to feed live to a snake. Animal welfare groups are dead set against this. Will have to do it though if they refuse the f/t tonight, As I am not assist feeding them again, as i did not enjoy doing it. Thanks all for the help so far.

They did not mention live feeding, even though he has fed live to a green burmese he owns. Have no idea where to get live from, as it is frowned upon in the uk. Looks like i will have to breed my own mice then. There is a debate as to whether it is legal to feed live to a snake. Animal welfare groups are dead set against this. Will have to do it though if they refuse the f/t tonight, As I am not assist feeding them again, as i did not enjoy doing it. Thanks all for the help so far.

I don't even live anywhere near the UK.. and I KNOW its not illegal if all other methods fail.. Remember, there ANIMAL welfare.. not "Cute and cuddly welfare" so if your snake needs to eat to live.. they can not take away your last option to getting it to feed..

Back