• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

rubbermaid container

kensei

Hi, I have a 30 qt Rubbermaid storage container that measure 23"x13"x6" (inches). I was wondering if this would be sufficient to house an adult corn. Also, would it be ok to just stick on an undertank heater (exoterra or zoomed) to the bottom of the Rubbermaid. Thanks.

hi Kensei,
Looks like nobody wants to take this one. The rubbermaid you describe is different than what I am familiar with. They are usually 16 x 22 and 6" deep. But that is close. It is probably on the small side for a full grown corn snake. They rule of thumb that I like is that the width plus the length should add up to the snakes length. A full grown corn is going to be around 60".

You can put a UTH directly on the bottom of the rubbermaid. I have never done it myself but many have with out problems. Be sure you have some kind of thermostat inside the cage to regulate the heat.

This is a controversial topic and I'm sure that is why everyone was slow to answer this one. This is my opinion and I know you'll be ok following it. But now that I have put my neck on the chopping block, I am sure lots of people will have something to say.

Thanks for the reply Wade.

I thought my questions were pretty straight forward so I was wondering why it was taking so long to get a response lol.

I think I will go to Walmart tmrw and check for larger Rubbermaids. Will an adult be ok in a tub only 6" tall or should I look for something taller?

I look forward to hearing what other ppl have to say about the whole UTH issue...

6" tall is plenty. Corns are really only interested in floor space. Make sure you make lots of holes for ventelation. A good rule is if there is water condensing on the sides, you don't have enough holes.

You can use a small drill bit (3/16") if you use high rpms and light pressure when you drill. If you push too hard, the rubbermaid will crack when the bit pops through.

Another way is to use a soldering iron. If the point is about 3/16 in dia you can melt through the plastic. This is a little slower but you are less likely to crack the plastic.

The UTH should never get hot enough to hurt the plastic. If you are melting plastic, it won't matter cause your snake will be dead.

Back