• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

rubbermaid or glass zilla critter cage

techflork

I just read a huge debate on a thread from like 5 years ago. I was curious, can you make the rubbermaid boxes as secure as a zilla critter cage? I'm all about the ease of use and saving money but I also need something that will work effectively too haha. Also how does one go about heating a rubbermaid box?? Many thanks!
>Techflork

Its really all about preference to be honest.

I can tell you for a fact that my first snake was a milk snake that I had in a 20 long. Its hard to maintain humidity and cool side temps can get a little hard at times too.

How I just got my first corn about a month or so ago and I have her (4 foot adult) in a 105 qt sterilite tub I bought from WalMart. 105 qt is a bit excessive for most of the people here who use tubs, but this is a pet snake and not a breeder. If your interested I can detail a bit of how I made the tub more show worthy and less like, well, a plastic tub :cool:.

I drilled holes for zip ties on one side of the lid and tub to give it the hinged lid effect. This also secures that side of the tub very VERY well. With two latches that came with the tub I now have 3 sides that are impervious (or as much as can be expected) to escapes. On the second long side, opposite the zip ties, I use two binder clips. The end result is a tub that I am extremely happy with!

Heating follows the same procedure as any other tub or tank. The bottom should be 1/3rd to 1/4th covered with a UTH.

As far as the tub melting from the heat, do not be concerned. Although UTH's can and do reach temps of 110 or 120 degrees, its rare that you hear about someone in Arizona having plastic storage containers in their garage just suddenly melting/bursting into flames. It can really be avoided if you do two things that are mandatory in my book. Proper ventilation underneath and a thermostat.

Feel free to PM me if your interested in more on how I setup a tub for display purposes!

I've got both glass tanks and tubs for ours. Two are in glass, the other four in Sterlite...the tubs we have do have the clamp-on lids, and we haven't had a problem with them yet (although I do have handweights sitting on top just in case)

As for heating, just like BigByrd said...a UTH kept at the proper temperature with thermostat will be fine.

(I like the idea of the zip ties as well...could you possibly post pics in the DIY section? I would be interested in seeing how it looks)

x2 on the posting in the DIY section, i think people would love to see your set up. It sounds very interesting! thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll have to decide. I thought the plastic would melt from the UTH but if not then this could be a nice way to go.

i prefer tubs to glass aquariums. I think its easier to control the humidity and temps in a plastic tub than in a glass aquarium with a screen lid. I adopted a 3 foot ball python in a 55gal aquarium and i could not keep it at the proper temps so i moved the snake into a 41 qt plastic tub and i havent had a problem keeping the temps right where i need them

Back