• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Russian Ratsnakes ANYBODY?

moonchild

My husband was amazed at the replies I got about the Bairds so he wanted me to try to find somewhere for him to get a Russian Ratsnake. We are looking for either breeders of Russian Ratsnakes or recommendations of breeders or sources, prefferably from parents with a lot of yellow.

funny i actually replied to your blue beauties question when i was younger my dad had two russian rat snakes they are awesome, ours were so tame and they got pretty big but i havent seen muchon them these days while i search the net but a great snake and pet, goodluck finding them

Funny, I have one of those, too. And a Kunashir Island ratsnake. I'm hoping to get a female Russian from Shawn at Hawkeye Herps.

Ours is almost two and a big baby. One word of advice..they are not snakes to be put around your neck. They are large and mostly arboreal. They will hold on with a grip like nobody's business. Even at two ours is strong enough to make my fingers go numb when he's holding on tight.

I'm wondering what Russian corns would look like? Probably similar to jungles, but without the hassle of breeding kings to corns. Hmm....

I used to have three pair of Russians, but I have been gradually narrowing down my snake collection to only corns and emorys so I only have one left.

I had been a little disappointed with the lack of readily available information on the Russians (E. schrencki) so I put together a brief caresheet for them. It's on my website at www.PaulSageReptiles.com/articlespage.htm

I had acquired one of the pairs from Jim at Split Rock Reptiles, but I'm not sure if he still raises them or not. He didn't have any at the Tinley Park show this year (that I saw, I didn't get a chance to talk to him).

I really like the Russian ratsnakes, especially for their bold inquisitive nature and for their service as a "garbage disposal". It's kinda funny watching a 6 foot adult inhale a pile of leftover f/t pinkies and fuzzies. lol Mine have been very docile and friendly, but they do seem to be grumpier than a corn when blue.

Hope that helps.

Back