• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Safe heating set up

Feral

At the moment, I just use some dimmers to control the heat in the tank, but...as the expo draws near I'm sure we'll be adding a couple of more snakes.

So, I want to be prepared. I'm either converting one of my dresser I don't use so it'll hold tubs, or I'll just be constructing something to go on top of the twin bed that just sits in the computer room. I can also take the bed off and it has a one of those...heavy wood dorm frame things (with the drawers on the side). Either way, I'll be making -some- sort of set up in that room.

I want to make sure the heating set up is as safe as possible, both for people and snakes. Meaning, not a fire hazard for us, and not a burn hazard for the snakes. The dimmers work fine for the little buddies, but I'm not sure how to go about hooking up more. Or if perhaps there's a rheostat or something that can handle more then one UTH.

I'm a bit more a disaster when it comes to house electrical things, so I'm really kind of nervous setting up more then one heating system together. So some pointers, or...perhaps some stories on how you set up yours would be great and very helpful.

/rambling big long post

You can run more than one UTH off the same thermostat, as long as they're the same size/make and are in the same position in all the tanks (there's only one probe, so you basically control the temp of one UTH and the rest will be either the same or very close).

Plug the stat into the mains and plug a multiway adaptor into the socket on the stat. Then plug the UTHs into the multiway. I run a stack of three vivs from one stat like this, with the probe in the middle one. It's worked well for years.

Back